SAU Community

VQ35DE Best Custom exhaust set up?

Hey guys, just curious about peoples custom exhaust setups for their VQ35DE cars, specifically G35 Coupe. Due to the cost of importing and extreme lack of used aftermarket exhausts, my options are very slim. After doing a few bolt on mods (Plenum spacer, intake, megan test pipes) I will get a tune. I have not decided if I will bother with headers, but I know after my test pipes I will be needing something better than stock. I know a good exhaust shop that I will get to custom make me one. I will be going with (after tps) HR y pipe, 2.5 inch midpipe with varex muffler for adjustable sound, then continue 2.5 till exit. I know it will be very loud with the varex muffler in open position, which is what i want, but will it be quiet enough with it closed? Or should I add a resonator after the mid muffler? cheers.

Test pipes and 2.5" til exit will be loud. Custom exhaust will always be trial and error especially with the Varex muffler. You can just add a resonator or xpipe later on if it's too loud for your liking. I personally think with the test pipes that it'll be way too loud but I prefer my exhaust notes to come on when I go above 3.5k rpm.

On 7/18/2019 at 4:58 PM, str8piped4cyl said:

Hey guys, just curious about peoples custom exhaust setups for their VQ35DE cars, specifically G35 Coupe. Due to the cost of importing and extreme lack of used aftermarket exhausts, my options are very slim. After doing a few bolt on mods (Plenum spacer, intake, megan test pipes) I will get a tune. I have not decided if I will bother with headers, but I know after my test pipes I will be needing something better than stock. I know a good exhaust shop that I will get to custom make me one. I will be going with (after tps) HR y pipe, 2.5 inch midpipe with varex muffler for adjustable sound, then continue 2.5 till exit. I know it will be very loud with the varex muffler in open position, which is what i want, but will it be quiet enough with it closed? Or should I add a resonator after the mid muffler? cheers.

BTW how are you getting a tune? Have you installed an aftermarket ECU?

12 hours ago, colin.ssc said:

Test pipes and 2.5" til exit will be loud. Custom exhaust will always be trial and error especially with the Varex muffler. You can just add a resonator or xpipe later on if it's too loud for your liking. I personally think with the test pipes that it'll be way too loud but I prefer my exhaust notes to come on when I go above 3.5k rpm.

Yeah I’m thinking I’ll just go single exit with a resonator and a muffler, don’t want it to be stupid loud and drone, idm the raspy-ness just going for power

6 hours ago, KiwiRS4T said:

BTW how are you getting a tune? Have you installed an aftermarket ECU?

Not sure, going to hit up a tuner in my area when the time comes. I asked one shop when I had a v36 350Gt sedan and they quoted $1200 for a tune expecting only 10-15hp!!....

9 hours ago, str8piped4cyl said:

Not sure, going to hit up a tuner in my area when the time comes. I asked one shop when I had a v36 350Gt sedan and they quoted $1200 for a tune expecting only 10-15hp!!....

That's he core of Kiwi's question. Have you actually looked into whether the stock ECU can be tuned? I didn't think there were that many places doing flashes on them. Mail order flash tunes are to be avoided.

Edited by GTSBoy

• 4 weeks later...
On 20/07/2019 at 10:48 AM, GTSBoy said:

That's he core of Kiwi's question. Have you actually looked into whether the stock ECU can be tuned? I didn't think there were that many places doing flashes on them. Mail order flash tunes are to be avoided.

Oh yup my car can be flashed and they do offer tunes for this car, getting a tune shouldn’t be a problem just the cost! I have enquired to confirm with the tuners.