SAU Community

Has anybody done an aftermarket stereo install on a 370GT??

Just purchased the car (knowing I'd have some audio issues), and first thing I do with every car is upgrade the sound system as it's never that fantastic from factory.

I'm looking to do sub, amp and speaker upgrade. Now I don't have the Bose system in mine. So,

1) Does the main head unit have the inputs I can use for the sub and amp wiring (kept there for the Bose system) ?

2) What size speakers are they? 

Please don't say "don't bother, too hard, won't work, deal with it - you got an import..."etc etc etc as I have done a complicated setup on a Falcon before where all factory connections had to be bypassed, and if that's what I have to do again, then I will. By that, I mean I installed a separate head unit so it worked entirely independently of the car's inbuilt system.

Head unit is abit too much work as the headunit runs most of the car's electronics, you can check out Tesla style headunit swap that some people are doing now.

I currently run Hertz HSK165 for fronts, HSK163 for rears with Audison Lrx 4.1k and 2x Hertz HX300D with Audison Lrx 1.1k. They all go through Audison Bit Ten processor. 

Exactly what Colin said. The headunit is far too deeply integrated into the car's electronics, rendering some elements of the vehicle useless (albeit still driveable).

The method that Colin and I have opted for is to augment the headunit with a quality DSP, amp and speaker setup.

I wrote a thread several years ago which vaguely documents the things I did to make that happen. Bear in mind that since the last post, I changed the front speakers from the Boston Acoustics SPZ60 to Morel Hybrid series because in the end, I discovered that in the final days of their existence, the SPZ series proved to be shit quality compared to their previous ProSeries models. That, and support for them was suffering.

Once this friggin' work project is done, perhaps I'll then have time to complete the next phase in the project, involving a mini computer to interface to the touchscreen (video and control) and provide GPS functionality, as well as the music. Only problem is that it'll still be composite video feeding to it, since I can't be bothered taking the next step of hacking a Sony serialiser IC out of some bok-choi device to get what I want.

Edited by The Max

• 10 months later...

audio installers here susggest 
ALPINE ILX-W650E 7INCH ANDROID AUTO/APPLE CARPLAY

and shifting the factory screen to the glovebox or deleting it 

i have a magnet phone holder that is designed to mount into the cd slot 

IMG-20200418-WA0014_1__08770.1587176151.jpg

Edited by Daspien

Does that integrate with the CANBUS in any way to show you air con status in the very least?

I see it also has dual camera interfaces. Did your installer integrate your reverse and side mirror cameras into it?

Edited by The Max

Found the manual for it. No CAN bus interface. Rules it out for me. I like to know what I've dialled in for climate control. :) To be fair, the data codes pertaining to that would likely vary between manufacturers and even models within the same manufacturer if they were to change any particular component in their system. It'd be a bastard to account for all of them.

Interfacing with our cameras will likely require some work because if I remember correctly, the cameras are natively composite video but then pass through a serialiser in the boot first before they get integrated into the selection of video signals in the infotainment system. In which case, you'll likely have to extend some coax cable from the two cameras to the back of that Alpine.

Got to give them credit where it's due though, it supports FLAC file formats. That's a major plus given the uptake on supporting that format is still pretty crappy. I like it overall and the touchscreen on these would be much friendlier to operate than our OEM resistive panels, which require either big buttons or needle fingers! Not to mention their capability of supporting swipe gestures, which our resistive screens don't do well at all.

Do you know if we need to keep the CD player stacker to keep the aircon/OEM screen to work? I was thinking of removing the analogue clock/CD player and volume controls bit + card reader would provide enough space for a 7"Alpine in there. 

Yes. Don't forget as well that the hazards button in the upper panel interconnects with that main button cluster as well, so you would need to do some creative rewiring and relocating of the OEM headunit if you want to retain the basic functionality.

Edited by The Max