SAU Community

R34 4 door RB26 conversion queries

davidM16

Hello from uk 

I have a few questions regarding doing a RB26 RWD conversion into my r34 4 door NA auto and i believe some of you will be able to assist 

1st off, 

I  know this conversion is more popular with you lot down under but I've been told that i should use my existing RB25DE loom and use a link GTT ECU and mod the loom to fit the engine , However i have spoken to few people who have done the conversion and they have all swapped to RB26 looms and ECU's its bit confusing as i know parts of the engine loom on the 34 run the ABS and aircon and the speedo/RPM runs different ? so trying to get a bit more info on what route i should go down 

2nd , can some one confirm that the 4 door and 2 door props are the same ? looking at part numbers they are and i believe when doing my conversion using either a 33 or 34 GTST box i just need a front prop section from a 33 or 34 and not a custom one?

Any info you can give me will be gratefully appriecated 

cheers Dave 

Always easier to use the correct loom to suit the engine and the correct type of ECU (ie, RB26 both) and make the changes to the engine loom where it interfaces with the car, than it is to bastardise a loom and use the wrong sort of ECU, etc etc.

You can do it any which way. But some don't make as much sense. The weird solutions usually come about because somebody already has X and is too tight or too lazy to do it properly.

I presume you are going to do a manual conversion at the same time? If you haven't already got the RB26 and you can get your hands on a 30 block a 30/25 (preferably with a neo head) would make for a much nicer car.

yeah it made more sense that i should use 26 ECU and loom rather then trying to mod everything to work 

yes will be doing a manual conversion at the same time just deciding if i should buy a used 33 box or buy a brand new 34 box, engine will remain fairly standard to begin with but next year a full nit 2.8 build is on the cards 

Been looking at 26 looms seems this will be my best bet otherwise its £1500 for new 26 loom that i will chop up a bit 

https://www.wiringspecialties.com/unrbwihatupr.html

Edited by davidM16
add more info

On the subject of the gearbox. 33 & 34 25 boxes are essentially the same thing but the pull clutch on the 34 box is more annoying (less choices) than the push. If you have the choice of a good 33 box, probably the wisest choice.

Mind you, if starting from scratch and having to buy - the argument for a brand new box is strong.

Yes I was aware of the clutch differences and everyone saying 34 is a pain haha I have already actually bought a clutch clutch kit for the 33 box so if I buy the 34 box I will do the pull to push conversion and can still use that