SAU Community

Dash Displays - Racepak vs Aim Strada

Hi all, 

Wanting to get a dash. Don't really need logging just looking to monitor but don't want the dash littered with gauges.

A majority of people are using racepaks. Obviously they work.

The question is why isn't the Aim strada not more popular? 

If you have one, why did you choose it?

ECU is a haltech

I went racepack because haltech. But that was a few years back and it looks very dated compared to more modern units. The AIM one looks better to me

Also have a look at Racepack, they make some serious dashes and I'm sure there are other good options out there. Motec make good dashes but comparatively expensive,  also Stack are well established/proven. 

Key requirement is haltech CAN support to ease wiring it up, next most important would be quality/usability of the analysis software and quality GPS if you are racing.

17 hours ago, Duncan said:

I went racepack because haltech. But that was a few years back and it looks very dated compared to more modern units. The AIM one looks better to me

Also have a look at Racepack, they make some serious dashes and I'm sure there are other good options out there. Motec make good dashes but comparatively expensive,  also Stack are well established/proven. 

Key requirement is haltech CAN support to ease wiring it up, next most important would be quality/usability of the analysis software and quality GPS if you are racing.

Thanks for the feedback. if you were to buy one today would you get the racepak again due to the ease of use/installation or go for a different one?

1 hour ago, robbo_rb180 said:

Here is a cheap alternative. Is plug and play for haltech and multiple custom screens and is touchscreen.
 https://www.powertunedigital.com/

are they using a 3d printed case?!

im happy with the price of the racepak/aim. i dont really want to spend more than that. i really do like the aim it seems like good value. im just surprised that somehting that has nokia 8250 is more popular that a tft screen with colour.

size/packaging is fine on either. i prefer not the have some large ipad size screen, bit ott.

no, I'd almost certainly go something more modern. Be interested to see what you think of what you pick.

the good news is pretty much everything is CAN compatible these days, in the olden days you had to decide if the ECU or the dash got the output of a particular sender and wire it in. so as long as whatever dash you buy supports your ECU, choices are a lot more open now.

BTW for street use you need to be a bit careful with warning lights, indicators, high beam all that sort of stuff being included if you are replacing not adding to, the stock dash. Many cars run stock + aftermarket dash to avoid the problem.

46 minutes ago, Duncan said:

no, I'd almost certainly go something more modern. Be interested to see what you think of what you pick.

the good news is pretty much everything is CAN compatible these days, in the olden days you had to decide if the ECU or the dash got the output of a particular sender and wire it in. so as long as whatever dash you buy supports your ECU, choices are a lot more open now.

BTW for street use you need to be a bit careful with warning lights, indicators, high beam all that sort of stuff being included if you are replacing not adding to, the stock dash. Many cars run stock + aftermarket dash to avoid the problem.

At this stage im definitely leaning toward to AIM. i know theres a couple of wires to splice in for power but nothing too difficult. Dashes are so popular now im just curious as to why the AIM product isnt more popular as i think it is superior to the racepak. I know if i call AIM they will try and sell me an AIM hence why im asking here to see if anyone has any first hand experience. For what it's worth i dont know anyone who has am AIM to ask directly.

I will be using the stock dash in addition to dash display.

i had racepack and changed to aim mxs 1.2

it can display all the data you need and comes with a gps to log track times. 

racepack i found hard to read at night doing circuit work, aim much better for the price difference. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 03/08/2019 at 2:12 PM, robbo_rb180 said:

Here is a cheap alternative. Is plug and play for haltech and multiple custom screens and is touchscreen.
 https://www.powertunedigital.com/

Does anyone know whether they(or anyone else) do a display unit of some sort to fit in the centre console where the voltage/boost gagues go(by the AC control unit)?

IQ3/Racepak are so laughably overpriced and behind the times now imo that i won't even bother talking about them.

Aim MXS Strada are at a reasonable price point and have a huge host of functionality. They are (almost) infinitely configurable and the software in pretty intuitive. They are nice and bright and have plenty of lights for all sorts of warnings. However, they are sluggish to respond. Sluggish to change displays/menus but worst of all sluggish to display information. For example you stab the throttle and you don't get a nice smooth RPM sweep, i'm not sure what the refresh rate of the screen is but it's too low. To me it's an absolute deal breaker and wouldn't even run one if i could buy it half price, which is a huge shame because everything else about them is excellent. 

MoTeC displays are obviously very well featured and infinitely configurable but have the associated motec pricetag.

I personally run a Plex μSDM-100 and could not fault it. The form factor is tiny, the display is incredibly bright with huge contrast from any viewing angle, automatically darkens at night time, it's only around $700, the refresh rate is 100hz so its basically instantaneous, the human interface is only 2 buttons and it can be mounted either vertically or horizontally and only needs power,earth and can hi/low to be wired in. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a fully featured dash like the the Aim/MoTeC does but it's really not competing against them, infact i don't think it really competes with anything as i don't know of anything similar to it. It's extremely customisable, does logging and has warnings, alarms, etc etc. I absolutely love it.

Here is Andre from HPA talking about it 

Here is a video of it in action

Plex also have a SDM-300/500 which is comparable to the Aim/MoTeC whilst still being cheaper. These are truly badass and have all the features of the 100 but the larger screen gives you more options for displays. I suggest you check out the website and give them a good look.

https://www.plex-tuning.com/products/

• Like 1