SAU Community

17” Motorsport Tyre Options?

G’day all. I need to get some better quality 17” tyres for the 32, something with a bit of a trackday capability, stickier for performance(I’m not so worried about wet weather or mileage issues).

It seems most quality tyre manufacturers don’t make much/anything in 17” anymore. I’d like something along the lines of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, Toyo R888R, Hankook RS4... Currently I’ve got 255/45/17 on 9” rims.

Has anyone got an insight in to who sells such things/where etc? Any help appreciated.

All the above.

RS4 is good. I have them on my 32 now. They replaced Kumho V720. I think the V720 was actually a better tyre (grip & handling wise), but the V720 was so f**king noisy that I will never ever contemplate using them again. The worst tyre noise I have ever had to live with.

Had AD08Rs before the V720s. I still have fond memories of those. If you can trust my memory over a period of 2-3 years, I suspect that the ADO8R is probably better than the RS4 also. I expect to be chased by the Hankook fanbois carrying pitchforks now. I never drove on the RS3s, so have no way to know if the RS4s are as good (or better, or worse) than the RS3s - but I just don't feel that the RS4s are head and shoulders above any of the other good tyres I've used.

RE003s are not a performance tyre. Very disappointing compared to stickier tyres. And didn't even have the life that you'd want to compensate for not being as sticky.

Can't comment personally on Achilles 123, but I know several people who rave about their performance even without making it relative to their low cost.

There are others too. Whatever Falken's replacement for the FK452 is, is supposed to be good. Dunlop's latest tyre in the same space is supposed to be OK. It's one of the Direzzas or something. I think these are mostly available in 17".

Edited by GTSBoy
  • Like 1

255/40/17 is my tyre size. They're not hard to come by although agreed, 18 and up has far more options. In the 255/40/17 though, a few options/opinions>

- Hankook RS4. Not used them, and seen a few user reviews that don't rate them highly for track/performance use. I believe they're meant to be a step up from their RS3 - a tyre which massively underwhelmed me, so i won't be trying the 4.

- AD08r's - very good, as their reputation says. Also very expensive for what they are, and they lasted me the same time as RSRR's.

- RSRR's. In my opinion the best value (not the best) tyre in that size, at $170 fitted. Good in the wet until low-tread, and they get better with a bit of heat into them. I like them alot for great overall value, and suitable for low-level track stuff.

- RT615K - middle of the range price, and quite reasonable performance. However their build quality is really good, and that tread pattern is hottt. Would buy again and would recommend, although as said, wouldn't say they are top of the pile....just wouldn't disappoint, and present good value for money.

- V720 - is likely to be my next tyre. Haven't used a set myself and noise isn't a concern for me, but seems for the price and reviews,  they present good value, have a sexy-as tread pattern, and perform pretty well overall.

I wouldn't look at anything over a 200 treadwear for any serious performance/track use, and seems the Pilot Sport 4s are more of a performance daily-driver tyre? 

• Like 1

Im loving my Nitto NT01's in 245/45/17's on 8' front and 9' rears.

Cheapest place I found was St George Tyres in Rockdale.
Don't buy them from their ebay store as calling them will get you a better price :) $240 compared to $269 each.
Been told they hold their performance pretty well as they age also.

• Like 1

Can't really comment on real world results, but after a lot of research I ended up getting falken RT615k+ they come in 255/40/17 and at the time seemed to be the best price wise to grip ratio and also apparently good in the wet, if I didn't care about wet performance at all then I might've chosen something else.  I don't have them on my car yet so I don't know what they're really like.

• Like 1

Falken FK452 is a street tyre like RE003. I had them on my car, great street tyre but on the track they overheat.

As mentioned, UTQG should be 200 or less for "proper" track day tyre. Remember it will be a compromise, but from my experience AD08R and RS3 (on my car) do very well in the wet.

• Like 1

RS4 255/40 17

4 for $845

Excellent wear, cheap, great street tyre, brilliant in the dry, acceptable in the wet, acceptable in the cold (below 5°c they are sketchy, they do warm up quick though)

Track? I had RS3's on my old boat years ago, acceptable, but they aren't no semi-slick

https://www.jaxtyres.com.au/tyres/hankook/ventus-r-s4-z232

For the money I rate them well over the RE003, not as noisy either, not quite though, but not as noisy as the RE003, Disclaimer:I'm deaf(ish) now, noise levels may vary.....

• Like 1

As an additional thought: 265/40/17 on 9” rims: has anyone run this width and had any rubbing issues on their R32 GTR? I don’t want rubbing, and I am def’ NOT rolling guards to accommodate rubber...

255/40/17 is the preferred size but 235/45/17 is alot cheaper.

If you want properly good semi slicks go and see the nice folk from Yokohama - A050's.

Sizes are:

215/45R17 87W 7.0 - 8.0 216 623
225/45R17 91W 7.0 - 8.5 227 631
235/45R17 94W 7.5 - 9.0 237 642
245/40R17 91W 8.0 - 9.5 252 629
255/40R17 94W 8.5 - 10.0 263 637
  • Like 1

Nankang AR1 are a solid budget option, I ran those last season in 255 R17, won my class on that single set of tyres and was still setting PB's at the end of the season. They are very sensitive to tyre pressures vs grip though and seems to vary widely depending on weight of the car and camber. 

Went back to an old set of 235 RS-Rs for one session while I was doing some testing and almost died lol

• Like 2

On 07/08/2019 at 11:52 AM, WR33KD said:

NITTO NT05s are a great tyre also archilles 123s.
I run the nt05s on the front and the 123s on the rear

NT05 aren't really a motorsport tyre, it's more of a UHP. I ran them before I switched to NT01 for circuit use and shaved over 3 seconds off my time. NT01 are a proper motorsport tyre.

If budget comes to mind, these semis are a good option:

• Achilles 123s (as mentioned)
  • Nitto NT01
  • Nankang AR1 (I'm running them now, yet to test them on the circuit)

If it's mainly for street with light track work (still budget range):

• Bridgestone RE003 (when there are buy 3 get the 4th free sales)
  • Nitto NT05
  • Hankook RS3 (when they're on sale, old stock, etc., superseded by RS4)
  • Nankang NS-2R (there are two version, get the lower tread wear option)
  • Federal RS-RR (they still split after some age, I would avoid)

If you have coin to blow:

• Advan Neova AD08r
  • Hankook Z221

All the above are tyres I've used and recommended, either on my own car or other cars I've driven on the track.

My 2 cents, do not ever put NS-2R on your car, they are rubbish in all conditions, both treadwear versions. 

They would be the last choice of those street tyre options.

Be intertesting to see how you go on the AR1, I think they were happier on a lighter car. Sidewall may not be up to a heavier rig with more grunt.