SAU Community

Budget Drift Build - RB20DET/ET or RB30ET

Hi All,

Thinking of getting into the drift scene with an R31 however I have searched the forums and come to no definite conclusion about RB20DET/ET vs RB30ET. Would it be better to buy an RB20DET/ET skyline or turbo an RB30E? I understand at the end of the day not project car is ever cheap in the long run but I'm trying to go for the most budget friendly option. 

Cheers.

RB30/25  will be miles better. You can do it on the "cheap" stock everything except rings, bearings and small end bolts but it will still cost for the twin cam head, ecu and the other bits and pieces.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KiwiRS4T said:

RB30/25  will be miles better. You can do it on the "cheap" stock everything except rings, bearings and small end bolts but it will still cost for the twin cam head, ecu and the other bits and pieces.

Cheers man, what would you estimate the total cost for parts roughly? 

Edited by Anthony1016

Really hard to say as many parts will be second hand so may vary according to your luck. If you can pick up a going RB25DET for $1 500 that could be the way to go. Then you will need a FMIC, figure out a way to tune it (could cost 2k alone) better injectors and fuel pump, the aforementioned rings, bearings and small end bolts, better clutch...assuming no labour except for the tuning you are at $5k at least. Try not to spend any money on non essentials like FF Plenums or aftermarket exhaust manifolds etc

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Griffin said:

Where are you located? I've got an rb25det neo engine, manifolds and bits and pieces at Newcastle if interested in having a look.

I'm in Sydney but willing to drive for parts, how much were you looking for?