SAU Community

Thinking of an R33 GTR

I’m new here and have been searching whether or not I should upgrade from my 1992 R32 GTR to an R33 GTR. I’ve been searching for information. Would appreciate everyone’s input on thoughts and links to good cars and info. Have spent endless nights the past weeks trying to watch shows, reviews, walk around and blogs. Thanks in advance 

58 minutes ago, joshuaho96 said:

What do you feel is missing from the R32?

Maybe I’m bored after a few years but liking the look of the R33. Think it’s grown and moving well with times. Would it be much different?

5 minutes ago, Sirx5 said:

Maybe I’m bored after a few years but liking the look of the R33. Think it’s grown and moving well with times. Would it be much different?

The R33 is supposed to be more refined in a number of ways. Less front heavy, less rotational inertia, more chassis rigidity, less front lift, lower drag coefficient, etc. ATTESA is less on-off in its behavior, it starts applying more FWD earlier on to help make the car more progressive. But it's a bigger car. It's pretty long, almost exactly the same dimensions as a BMW M4, just not as wide. The R32 and R34 are more compact, but also means that the two seats in the back are vestigial.

The R33 is probably the most unstable under trailbraking from what I've heard though, especially the series 1/2 which have different ABS compared to series 3.

The engine and transmission are basically identical to the R32, nothing to write home about there. Interior is pretty similar to the R32, just slightly modified. Seats are basically identical too. Only difference is driver side airbag is standard, passenger side optional in 1995 and standard 1996-1998.

If you're after a raw experience the R32 is the most wild of the 3. If you find that you want more space and more refined tuning then R33 is a lot cheaper than the R34 while delivering most of the driving experience, if you can overlook the MFD and some aero bits.

I have both. 33 is a overall better car in every way in my opinion, but ask yourself really why you want to change. If your 1992 32 is a good example I don't think I would get rid of it just for change sake though. How good is your 32 and what's done to it ?

11 minutes ago, BK said:

I have both. 33 is a overall better car in every way in my opinion, but ask yourself really why you want to change. If your 1992 32 is a good example I don't think I would get rid of it just for change sake though. How good is your 32 and what's done to it ?

Pretty much stock I don’t want a modified car. What would be a realistic sell price for an 82,000 km 1992 with books and grade 3.5 B at auction

19 minutes ago, Sirx5 said:

Pretty much stock I don’t want a modified car. What would be a realistic sell price for an 82,000 km 1992 with books and grade 3.5 B at auction

That's a pity. I was going to say if you are bored with it fit an RB32/26 and live!

• Like 1

If you have a solid 32. I probably wouldn't part with it (or any decent GTRs these days).

But if you must 33s are great. They're a bit more roomy, i think they look good and they're a known quantity.

I made a "what to look for" video but i ramble and awful lot in it.

Finding an unmodified car in good condition will be very difficult, a lightly modifed car in good condition wouldn't be so hard though. I'd recommend that you don't rule out basic mods to cars otherwise you won't have many to choose from.

Thanks for that info, your car looks great and I wouldn’t mind purchasing it! Send me a PM with details if you decide to sell the silver one. The 32 is an awesome car and everyone is telling me not to pry ways but I might have to dig a little further to get myself a 33. Any brokers on here or any recommendations? Might try to look at finance options if I were to keep the 32. So hard guys and taking in everything you are all saying

• Like 1

Thanks for that info, your car looks great and I wouldn’t mind purchasing it! Send me a PM with details if you decide to sell the silver one. The 32 is an awesome car and everyone is telling me not to pry ways but I might have to dig a little further to get myself a 33. Any brokers on here or any recommendations? Might try to look at finance options if I were to keep the 32. So hard guys and taking in everything you are all saying
I will add you to my running list of potential buyers. It's not for sale, but if it ever is you'll hear from me. [emoji16]

Have you considered seeing if someone you know will toss the keys to their 33 at you? That would be a great way to know if you should do it!

There's some guy in Japan looking for a clean, mostly stock 1995 R33: 

Yes please I'm looking for a clean 1995 r33 in Japan! You guys and the Americans swooped them all up already. Give one back!

I guess I could just get that garage defend r33 Vspec. The faded blue plate is odd though.

But I talked to many locals here. It's hit and miss. I think the purists like the r32 but most people admit the r33 is a better car. I can't say for sure cause I've never driven either. Both look good to me in their own ways but personally I like the rawness look of the r32 but then I see all these Americans driving around in beat up r32's spray painted bbq black with purple wheels and I'm like....ok yeah I need to distance myself from that.

Just now, Hella_GTR said:

Yes please I'm looking for a clean 1995 r33 in Japan! You guys and the Americans swooped them all up already. Give one back!

I guess I could just get that garage defend r33 Vspec. The faded blue plate is odd though.

But I talked to many locals here. It's hit and miss. I think the purists like the r32 but most people admit the r33 is a better car. I can't say for sure cause I've never driven either. Both look good to me in their own ways but personally I like the rawness look of the r32 but then I see all these Americans driving around in beat up r32's spray painted bbq black with purple wheels and I'm like....ok yeah I need to distance myself from that.

R33 GTS25ts in Australia have a kind of similar reputation so...

• Like 1