SAU Community

Thinking of an R33 GTR

On 8/16/2019 at 9:10 AM, Hella_GTR said:

Yes please I'm looking for a clean 1995 r33 in Japan! You guys and the Americans swooped them all up already. Give one back!

I guess I could just get that garage defend r33 Vspec. The faded blue plate is odd though.

But I talked to many locals here. It's hit and miss. I think the purists like the r32 but most people admit the r33 is a better car. I can't say for sure cause I've never driven either. Both look good to me in their own ways but personally I like the rawness look of the r32 but then I see all these Americans driving around in beat up r32's spray painted bbq black with purple wheels and I'm like....ok yeah I need to distance myself from that. 

What stops you from importing one from Australia?

7 hours ago, BakemonoRicer said:

What stops you from importing one from Australia?

Shouldn't be anything legal, it's been popular in Japan for a while now to import stuff like 240Zs from desert states in the US or mostly dry areas like California back to Japan. The dry climates make rust less likely, even if UV aging is worse it's mostly just an issue of repainting the car.

6 hours ago, joshuaho96 said:

Shouldn't be anything legal, it's been popular in Japan for a while now to import stuff like 240Zs from desert states in the US or mostly dry areas like California back to Japan. The dry climates make rust less likely, even if UV aging is worse it's mostly just an issue of repainting the car.

Yeah i'm down to import one from the UK or AU.  I google'd all the UK sites and one company HJA said they'd send one back to me but they don't have any full normal series 1 right now.  I googled Australian importers but couldn't find a series 1 but I'm not that familiar with other countries sites and who sells trusted cars.  If you know any, I'm open ears.  They just need to be willing to send one back to Japan and then we'd have to work out how to get a "Y" license plate on it, not a kanji plate.  Thanks!

• Like 1

WOW! 

Its been a few weeks and I’m still searching. It’s proven difficult to find a car that hasn’t had modifications. I’m okay with an exhaust and some cosmetics. If anyone is selling one, please let me know. The lower the kilometres the better.

• Like 1

Checked out the black car that’s online and have to say to stay away. People continue to say they’re car is so clean etc and when you turn up, look underneath and you see the rust straight away. Really getting sick of all these false advertisers and people that blatantly lie. I skipped work and wasted half a day to be let down yet again. Excuse the rant but every car available online seems to be a dud.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Sirx5 said:

Checked out the black car that’s online and have to say to stay away. People continue to say they’re car is so clean etc and when you turn up, look underneath and you see the rust straight away. Really getting sick of all these false advertisers and people that blatantly lie. I skipped work and wasted half a day to be let down yet again. Excuse the rant but every car available online seems to be a dud.

Yeah, it's tough. People want to sell off their junk and want to mislead people on the condition.

2 hours ago, joshuaho96 said:

Yeah, it's tough. People want to sell off their junk and want to mislead people on the condition.

I think people are taking it too far now. So many have been trying to sell their cars as 3-4 rating and when you ask them for paperwork to back it up they say it’s lost. I run my Japanese rego checks and surprise, they’re all accident cars. Beware guys, run an online report before buying anything. I have spent hundreds of dollars so far but it’s the best tool on God’s green earth when buying a Japanese car.

Where are you getting the checks done ? I wouldn't mind doing it on my own GTRs to have the paperwork. I did buy them a long tome ago though, so I dont know if anything will come up. Bought my 33 in 2003 and my 32 in 2007.

WP_20180829_18_31_24_Pro.jpg

WP_20160829_029.jpg

WP_20160829_039.jpg

WP_20160829_031.jpg

WP_20160829_032.jpg

• Like 1

Cool man, thanks. Let's set what I turn up. 1995 BCNR33 in 2003 had 62000km, currently 81500km in 2019.

10/1989 BNR32 had 81000km in 2007, currently 91500km in 2019.

I recon 33 will be legit, but 32 might be 50/50.

Interesting indeed.

It’s the best tool. I’ve been doing some thorough research and have spoken to a few different importers and even exporters that are Aussie and based in Japan. It has been summed up as this. All cars imported back in the 2000’s and even up until recently are most likely “repaired” cars. These are cars that have been involved in accidents, repaired, taken to auction then made their way here. Lots of dealers were purchasing and selling these sort of cars as they are the most profitable. For instance, right now at auctions, R32 GTR grade 4 with 120,000 kms sell for Yen 3-4+ million. The same car but graded R goes for $1.8-2.2 million. There’s a huge price disparity. The same is said across the board for all cars. So be careful and do your thorough research before purchasing anything. When they say yeah it’s okay it just had a little prang or some paint, don’t believe it, if you can just buy a car that is grade 3 at the minimum. Grade 4 R32 GTR landed in today’s money will cost $65,000 just to import if you were to win one today, so a dealer would need to price that at $80,000 so it is impossible to buy grade 4 cars for $50,000. Please do your checks and buy something that’s safe

Edited by Sirx5
  • Like 1

On 8/23/2019 at 9:29 AM, BK said:

Where are you getting the checks done ? I wouldn't mind doing it on my own GTRs to have the paperwork. I did buy them a long tome ago though, so I dont know if anything will come up. Bought my 33 in 2003 and my 32 in 2007.

WP_20180829_18_31_24_Pro.jpg

WP_20160829_029.jpg

WP_20160829_039.jpg

WP_20160829_031.jpg

WP_20160829_032.jpg

god damn white r33's look good, so do blue r32's

I’m still leaning towards the R33 and my search continues with no luck. Got in touch with some of the guys that can bid and import one for me, think I might take that route. Noticed a few of the big names are doing that and I guess because they would want something more unique and cleaner than the offering on our Aussie market. It’s a shame, so many cars here but they’re all destroyed

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I’ve placed my deposit to bid on some cars in Japan this week. My car is officially up for grabs. If anyone is interested, let me know. The car comes with full books, service history, 86,000 kms, grey, absolutely impeccable and presents as new. It’s completely original with no modifications at all. It has been serviced up to date. Will consider realistic offers.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 5:18 AM, Sirx5 said:

So I’ve placed my deposit to bid on some cars in Japan this week. My car is officially up for grabs. If anyone is interested, let me know. The car comes with full books, service history, 86,000 kms, grey, absolutely impeccable and presents as new. It’s completely original with no modifications at all. It has been serviced up to date. Will consider realistic offers.

If nobody here is interested you could try Bring a Trailer. It's an auction site and prices tend to be closer to what the market will bear instead of some arbitrary randomness from time/location.

On 8/24/2019 at 7:41 PM, Sirx5 said:

I was on this launch, and it was a pretty stark experience for myself as a personal R32 GT-R owner.

That R33 had a full suite of hardrace gear under it, and the 32 (although exceedingly original) wasn't on the best tyres.

It was the first time I'd driven an R33 and it was pretty revelatory. Albeit, with the suspension fettling, and the V-spec's LSD: the thing was a far more capable track car than the 32. All the same inputs in getting the 32 to oversteer once it came on boost post-apex, the 33 just gripped. It came on boost quicker, and the chassis was far more neutral with sharper turn-in quicker steering.

My 0.02c would be that if you're after a track car, 33 is the go. It was a significant leap ahead of the 32, the 33>34 was much more incremental. But if you're after just a special weekend car, I'd personally hold onto the 32. There's likely more long-term collector value in the 32 than the 33 given its unique Australian motorsport history.

Also, Tamura-San was at the launch and I had some really good chats with him. He's owned an R32 GT-R since '89, and had his hands in development throughout the succeeding r-chassis generations (and of course, became boss of the R35 portfolio). He himself said the R32 was a more of a "GT-car", but the R33 was a much more capable bit of kit.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I was looking for a R32 GTR vs R33 GTR. I went for the R33. Bought one last week :D

Here is why:

1. Interior is much better, r32 seems too old

2. Drives/Handles better comparing stock 

3. They are more rare. 16k R33 GTRs vs 42k R32 GTRs made

4. Better turbos

5. More roomier 

6. Wider (I prefer wide cars, looks more staunch so this is more of an preference)

7. The underdog, everyone froths over the R32 & R34 so wanted something different

R32s might hold their values better. But if you are looking for the better car go for the R33. Did you know the R33 GTR was the first sports car to hit the Nurburgring in sub 8mins? Also, they never posted the R34 time around the ring due to actually being a bit slower than the R33. 

9 hours ago, nz.r34 said:

4. Better turbos

No 32 and 33 have the same turbos - shitty ceramic turbine wheel turbos that all eventually go bang at 14psi+, unless you have an N1.

33s run a bit more boost and have a better intercooler (32 - 60mm vs 33 - 75mm cores) than 32s and that's where they made their extra grunt.