SAU Community

Exhaust/turbo manifold upgrade = increased performance?

Hey all,

ive got a rb25det with full intercooler piping with blitz fmic, intake piping, turbo back 3 inch exhaust and a tune with power fc and I’m running about 12psi on stock op6 turbo. I was wondering if I get a aftermarket exhaust/turbo manifold would it increase performance?Because it’s the only stock piece I have from my whole piping system. I’m not 100% on the power of my car but it should be at least 200rwkw and I’m not planning on building it up to anything 400+ anytime soon. Would the car require a retune if I get one?what products do you recommend?

thanks

Not really. A big aftermarket manifold might improve your top end power a little bit compared to the stocker. But only a little bit. So little that you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. I mean, we're talking the difference between 195 and 200 rwkW. There might be a small improvement in spool response. Or there might be a decrease in spool response. Depends a lot on the specifics of the manifold that you put on. One with big runners designed to support heaps of flow/power will likely suffer in spool. One that is carefully designed to get the gases to the turbo efficiently might improve your spool, but won't support as much flow and power and is therefore unlikely to be something that many manufacturers would have on their list of existing offerings. No-one's really going to spend up to $2k on a manifold to optimise the response of a stock sized turbo.

And your car is unlikely to be "at least 200rwkW" right now. It will be lucky to make a real 200rwkW at that boost on the stock turbo. Mine makes a trustworthy 190rwkW with the same mods (different ECU, but still, tuned). I could possibly give up some safety in the tune to get it up to 200, but they're really not going to go a lot higher than that. Optimistic dynos not being part of my consideration, of course.

Just hi flow your turbo if you want more power on the cheap.  Its a bolt off/bolt on mod so only costs for the turbo work and a tune.  It is possible to get anywhere from 220 to 260rwkw depending on your supporting mods.

Or if you have $$$ buy a new turbo, maybe a Hypergear one, talk to Stao?

27 minutes ago, tridentt150v said:

Its a bolt off/bolt on mod so only costs for the turbo work and a tune.

Yeah, but to avoid wasting half the potential improvement, the budget really needs to include an AFM and injectors, likely a fuel pump, conceivably a clutch. But what's another grand or two?

I otherwise completely agree.

Still a new turbo, regardless if it's being used to it's potential will still be yield more performance than a manifold (which might improve nothing besides sound).

And if you're living life on the edge, just max out your AFM and add a FPR to bump up your fuel rail pressure to get a bit of headroom from your injectors. Should be able to yield a healthy 220~230kW with the AFM voltage flat lining lol.

• Like 1