SAU Community

R32 GTR doesn’t want to run

So I’ve had my R32 GTR for a little over a week and have been driving no problem. I was driving around today and stopped and got gas and drove off with still no issues. I got to my last stop and shit the car off and was gone for maybe 10 minutes. Come back, turn the key and let the fuel pump prime and go to start her up. She rough idled for about 5 seconds before dying, now she will turn over and die instantly. I’m pretty lost on what the issue could be. Also a relay in the trunk by the tail lights  clicks ever 10 or 15 seconds when the key is turned to accessory. 

Edited by BaysideBlue32

When you say 'it turns over and dies instantly' I guess you mean it does start at least momentarily, rather than just turning over and not starting?

Starting with the relay, there are 2 in the boot, either side of the lock. The larger one is for 4wd and is often the cause of regular clicking, which is generally a problem with the accumulator needing to be recharged or replaced.  The smaller relay (either green or blue, can't remember) is the fuel pump relay.

It sounds to me like a fuel supply problem and the most obvious reason is being our of petrol. If not I'd get a multi meter onto the fuel pump terminals to make sure there is battery voltage for the first 3 seconds when someone turns the key to IGN. That should confirm there is power where there should be which would say dead fuel pump. Otherwise if there is no power there, there is some electrical issue so you'd look at relays, fuses to the fuel pump

11 minutes ago, Duncan said:

When you say 'it turns over and dies instantly' I guess you mean it does start at least momentarily, rather than just turning over and not starting?

Starting with the relay, there are 2 in the boot, either side of the lock. The larger one is for 4wd and is often the cause of regular clicking, which is generally a problem with the accumulator needing to be recharged or replaced.  The smaller relay (either green or blue, can't remember) is the fuel pump relay.

It sounds to me like a fuel supply problem and the most obvious reason is being our of petrol. If not I'd get a multi meter onto the fuel pump terminals to make sure there is battery voltage for the first 3 seconds when someone turns the key to IGN. That should confirm there is power where there should be which would say dead fuel pump. Otherwise if there is no power there, there is some electrical issue so you'd look at relays, fuses to the fuel pump

Yea the green relay in the boot is the one clicking. I’m leaning more toward fuel being the issue. Just not sure to start with the pump or the relay

18 hours ago, Duncan said:

Well....check under the bonnet for a green relay you can live without for a moment and swap it into the boot....

UPDATE: So I just let the car sit for a few hours and now she starts up. But the engine seems to be struggling in lower Rpm’s but does fine in higher revs around when boost starts to kick in.

Pull the fuel line off the rail and see what happens when you turn the key. Could be blocked filters or as Duncan says pump on the way out (or coils or CAS or lots of things but start with the fuel supply).