SAU Community

Pop and bang exhaust illegal in Vic?

Hey everyone, Im a P plater for a na R34 and I recently asked a tuning shop in my area in Victoria if it's legal to have a pop and bang tune to my exhaust, they said it's legal but I've heard from a few people that's it's actually illegal and I could get a defect from the police cos of it.

I'm just wondering if it's illegal to have a pop and bang exhaust (mostly when I decelerate if that matters) 

I'm also interested - my current tune gives back-fire on decel and going from 1st to 2nd gear.

Shit my pants when I drive past HWY patrol. 

Hey quick question, I run into alot of kids with pop bang exhausts. I feel like it's kind of obnoxious, attention seeking mod especially when on non performance orientated cars. But may be I'm wrong. Anyone care to educate me?

Are there benifits of pop bang tunes on econoboxes or is it another useless, counter productive fad like spinning hubcaps, guccigang and key banging?

3 hours ago, ERO54N said:

I feel like it's kind of obnoxious, attention seeking mod regardless of car performance especially when on non performance orientated cars.

no you are right. 

I think pops are cool when it's the product of a non-contrived or naturally rich AFR

but the trend of P-plater Golfs with a Stage 69 fart-shift overrun tune which is spitting fuel into the exhaust for 300m down the street when they lift off at 1500rpms at 35km/h - yeah, that's lame as f**k.

Also to your actual question, yeah it's probably illegal - or will at least give the authorities a reason to pull you over and find something illegal.

• Like 1

It's a trait of running carbies, or super rich tune, or a fuel munching rotor, or a tarmac eating jet truck

Or it's a sign of a poor tune or "becauseracecar" with a modern fuel injection system.

Kids will be kids

I cannot believe the police don't come down harder on it, to me it's a classic case for a defect.

Disclaimer: I do love 2 step and antilag....................at the track

Meh