SAU Community

R34 Track/Street Car

Tobz

Re oil control - you won't be able to do much at all without pulling the engine out, and if you pull the engine out it's probably worth doing as much as possible. This includes an extended & baffled sump, and a drain from the back of the head (you need to drill & tap holes to mount this, which is why it can't be done with the engine in the car). Then you need to decide if you want to remove the head, and fit restrictors & drill out the block oil returns. It can get expensive very quickly, but so can oil starvation.

Lewis Racing Engines in SA sell extended baffled sumps & head drain kits at reasonable prices. If you do buy a sump, get some extra nipples added for a catch can to drain to, and for the side head drain if you ever change to an RB30 block.

I tried just adding more oil, but found that it just got pumped out the breathers really quickly at high revs.

I believe the RB25 needs these mods as much as a 26 does. I destroyed an almost new turbo from what was almost certainly oil starvation, and the broken bits of turbine scratched the bores of a freshly machined block & new forged pistons. Should have done it properly the first time.

Re harness mounts - I made a harness bar that bolts to the top mounting points for the rear seatbelts. Basically a length of roll-cage bar, with a bit of 50x5 flat bar welded to each end. This puts the harness angles pretty much horizontal, and it has been scrutineered probably 30+ times with no issues.

• Like 1

Just in case anyone else buys a Cusco Safety 21 4 point full capacity Rollcage (281 270 A20) to get the harness bar in i have bought two of the FIA Roll Cage Joints and will weld them to the cage with a piece of 40mm tubing. the joints are available here https://www.rhdjapan.com/cusco-40mm-fia-roll-cage-joint-kit.html 

This allows the harness bar to be removed when not needed

The add on bars cusco sell directly do not have the strength to be used for a harness.

Edited by Tobz

Cage arrived today!!!

I got the Cusco 4 Point Full Capacity Cage which follows the roof line for the main hoop and goes over the top of the windows for the rear supports. I've ordered an FIA 40mm Roll Cage Join to add a harness bar across the two rear struts.

Here is some pictures

20190906_171024.jpg

20190906_171006.jpg

4 hours ago, WR33KD said:

Is the bolt in cage FIA approved? 

Nope, all the events ill be entering dont require a cage for a street registered car, but for my own safety i wanted to run a harness and a hans device (Just feel safer). Also im not 100% sure i trust the A pillars on these cars, they look tiny!  So for this purpose the cage is perfect.

10 hours ago, Manuel Kasko said:

Loving that you're keeping the build updated

Was hoping you wouldn't mind, is nice to see the full history of a car in one place :)

Arghhh, I keep buying parts for the car but don't have the time to install as yet and still waiting for my new shed to arrive.

But ordered the alpha omega racing Evo brake upgrade kit today!

Took the car to Wakefield on the weekend, and it did not inspire confidence under brakes

On 22/09/2019 at 12:13 AM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Need Elig or Intima pads? ?

I can help with either and also DBA rotors and Turbosmart stuff.

Most of the time the brakes aren't too bad, but it's the choice of friction material that is the real let down.

What times were you lapping at Wakefield?

Yer i was running Project Mu HC800 pads but they just were overheating after a few big stops. Was running fresh Motul 600 fluid too.

Times on the weekend were terrible though as we had an oil spill on turn one, so couldn't really attack the braking zone there too hard. 

• 3 months later...

Finally started working on the car again! Been slow going as I loved house and had a heap of issues getting my shed setup! But it’s all working now.

just installed my whiteline swaybars front and rear (27mm front and 24mm rear) hoping this will fix some of the rollyness in the car :)

also got the alpha omega brake upgrade kit, in the process of painting them up before installation. Added some pictures of them sanded back and one caliper I have finished painting. Hoping to have it all completed next week! Hopefully! Next few weekends will be busy as we are also building a n15 sss pulsar for lemons as a replacement for our current Celica we have been running. 

Also installed some led rear tail lights, just need to find away to restore the fronts, has a bit of oxidation on them.

78633228-875F-4327-BD18-23A2F935E883.jpeg

48D551EB-A7B0-450A-8DD7-8243642A2105.jpeg

2E852204-47C0-46ED-800D-47F32350B352.jpeg

884D52CC-A4FE-4181-AD99-D10BA7B85D10.jpeg

21EC0509-BB14-4807-B585-4BD4701F1A39.jpeg

704BC5CD-F9B4-431B-BB10-A06C3064DA18.jpeg

Edited by Tobz

Got a bit more work done tonight, was raining here in Canberra so couldn’t finish the brakes off as they still need some paint. So started work on the oil cooler. The blitz oil cooler kit is really good quality and basically is bolt on so far (had to shave a bracket slightly due to the oil cooler bracket). Otherwise so far so good, just need to tighten it all up and install the sandwich plate after. 

F00EF8DB-871C-4921-93F1-BF9D49295C0D.jpeg

6139CF41-9994-4E0A-BFD1-B358968D5421.jpeg

E8AD1104-854A-4D7D-8268-7335AC45710B.jpeg

Only thing I don’t love is that the oil cooler lines run under the radiator (see last pic above). However it seems to be higher than the tow hook and cross members etc so should be fairly well protected... unless I need to use the tow hook.... might need to install another tow hook somewhere

also the lines are beautiful braided lines, but they supply some good quality plastic hose protectors, which I am using :)

Edited by Tobz