SAU Community

R34 Track/Street Car

Tobz

The dbw and throttle have all nee wiring going to the Haltech, takes 4 wires as the throttle has 2 position sensors and the throttle has 2 position sensors. That way it’s has a heap of built in redundancy. It’s very interesting to learn how it all works.

2 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

I don't believe your turbo is out of puff, it's definitely the return flow cooler holding you back.

This is my thoughts too. Reckon it’s better to go a lot or get something custom made? Is there t worth going forward facing, or stay with the cross tube? I’m guessing there is no way around it and not matter what I do, I need to drill?

Thanks for that, I'm planning to go DBW one day too, however have been looking at the OEM wiring and I'm afraid there might be too much noise as the wires aren't twisted. Might be worth it running a new aux harness for the pedal & DBW.

Going full FFP you'll lose low end & mid range, this has been proven time and time again. Something in the middle is the Plazmaman top half plenum that mates to the stock runners thus your low end won't suffer as much.

And yes, no matter what you want to do you're going to need to cut a hole to run a proper FMIC :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I used a blitz return flow cooler (the one from just jap) and made near on 500kw with it, with intake temps around 30c post cooler.

You have the ECU, see what your intake temps actually are before deciding the internet said a thing so it must be true.

Even if it's not THE best intercooler, back to back changes will be minimal, especially for 270kw.
There's so many good reasons to just stay at 270kw as the changes to go above it (full motor rebuild, manifold, turbo) and the corresponding reliability start to look very dim indeed.

What we'd really need to see is all the data as to what exactly the turbo *does* when attempting to make more power. My guess is "it wont hold boost" which was pretty common for older hypergear internal gate turbos which all seemed to make 50+ kw more power when externally gated, especially on an OEM manifold, and 50+ more when E85 was added to the mix.

I say put a Garrett G25 or G30 on there, given they should fit in the space pretty well.

But definitely, definitely, definitely follow the data.
And if you don't have the data, get the data!

• Like 1

cars on e85 but is loosing boost in the upper range. Starts at 20 and tapers to 16. Maybe your right and the 270 mark is where I should be happy as there is a bit of work involved for anything above it. But your right I’ll check the data to see next steps. 

im guessing once you move into the 300’s we’re talking headgasket, studs, rods & pistons? Been told just headgasket and studs is enough?

Plenty of people have made over 300 for a few years.

RARELY do they see a lot of track time. Given your sim setup you clearly have track aspirations for this car. I don't know what its like in Syd, but when you actually go to a track day, but cars boosting way above stock power are actually really rare.

The thing is, your motor will last "X" time at 3X0kw. Then when it does let go, what are your options?

1) Replace engine with literal 20 year old performance engine with unknown treatment, which costs about $4k for a neo now cause.. rare.
2) Rebuild motor, and you may as well build it with all the good stuff....
3) Resist the urge for 450+kw "because I have a built motor"

All for what, so your wakefield time drops 2s?

The boost dropping is a turbo actuator thing. You could call it a sanity check.
Almost every single hypergear turbo (or any internal gated turbo) that bolted to a RB25 manifold did this. It was addressed by heavier and heavier springs but they all fell off at the top, and the answer always seems to turn into "obtain an external gate" which starts the daisy chain of Gate, Manifold, Fabrication, Different Turbo, Different intercooler cause fab is happening anyway, retune, rebuild motor, change clutch, be sad on track days.

Maybe its an ultra low reading dyno, either that or something is seriously holding it back. An Atr45sat should be easily over 300rwkw on e85 even on 16psi. A member on here had that turbo on a 33 and it made 290rwkw on 98, around 18psi on jem's dyno.

My own car has a HG 21u high flow. Made 260 rwkw on 98 18psi and 312 rwkw on e85 19psi and that's way smaller than an Atr45sat. Stock manifold, internal gate, return flow cooler, holds boost pretty good up top and iat is pretty good. Figures are on a hub dyno.

Car has done at least 25 track days over the last few years, stock engine has held together well, compression is still around the 160psi mark. I recently had the head off for a suspected head gasket issue that was a wrong assumption. 23 year old gasket was still in perfect condition. Obviously i replaced it since i was there with a new oem gasket, serviced the head and added arp head studs. Didn't really need any of that.

I reckon 300 rwkw on e85 is a happy place for a healthy rb25. As said above look at your data and try to pinpoint anything that doesn't look right.

At  the end of the day, power is not the only thing that makes a car quick. Setting up the car to turn, brake, grip and have a nice useable power delivery is better than a billion kilowatts. Ive chopped cars with way more power than mine at the track and have also been chopped by  cars that have way less power. Lol. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, admS15 said:

At  the end of the day, power is not the only thing that makes a car quick

Ooo totally get that :) I’ve just got this craving to break 300.

It’s not rational in anyway though. The car as it is feels really good and I would actually say is almost bang on. But can you ever really have enough. 

I’ll leave it as is for now and reassess in a year :)

• Like 1

It's also the flow capacity of the return flow, we saw that Tao at @hypergear did a back to back with just a different FMIC and gains were seen instantly.

If you measure pressure pre and post cooler you'll see the issue.

Sub 400kW, ARP head studs should be enough with the stock OEM gasket on a R34 motor. I was doing 370kW+ on a tired Edward Lee's Odo Windback Special motor with just head studs for a couple of years before it went bang boom ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got my 3D racing solutions cluster today for the IC7. Overall happy with the quality. Hopefully the fitment is good. The dash was delayed by 3 weeks,  it it seems business for them has significantly increased during covid.

I think this is cheaper than the mako dash at 275 posted, which is also recessed. I think mako charge 350 for a recessed dash. Also 3D Racing Solutions is located in Sydney

1E98888A-55F4-4EE7-998B-11FA3D119675.jpeg

9EB9B140-2311-4E64-A8D3-ABAFF7264EAB.jpeg

C11ECEB9-7F9E-4943-B4C6-BF56B4683D85.jpeg

F3C1FC77-5E7B-440A-A9C1-CA0136AA6C4A.jpeg

7B6A07E4-51A3-41EA-A2A5-B58A130A0DE4.jpeg

Edited by Tobz
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So small update next weekend in preparation for a track day at Luddenham. Had issues last time out where I could only do 2 fast laps before something smoked and filled the cabin. Hasn’t happened on any other track, but I have a feeling it was the power steering fluid overflowing. Only one way to find out! 

have installed an oil cooler. Was pretty simple runs off the return line, little cooler attached to the back of the intercooler. Hopefully this and some synthetic fluid will fix it. Also hopefully it wasn’t something else that was causing the smoke!

2820A402-0C2F-4A00-99F2-F14214A92788.jpeg

19FC9AA9-C3D1-4E2B-A70D-3046E39ABF52.jpeg

• Like 1

Managed to get out to luddenham this weekend. Power steering cooler and synthetic atf has solved my Power steering overheating issue! So am really happy that is now sorted. Managed to go a little quicker and did a 53.9 but still think there is a 52 in it if I got it all right.

Luddenham is hard work, my neck was super sore by lunchtime! Need to start neck muscles training!!

20200926_083248.jpg

IMG-20200926-WA0015.jpeg

Edited by Tobz
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, robbo_rb180 said:

Good to hear day went well. Do you use a Hans device and harness? 

That track looks like nice and technical. What's the plan for next track day? 

I have a Simpson Hybrid S, but it doesn't hold your neck in place, still need your neck muscles for that :)

Track is awesome, I love how there is a few different ways to attack it.

Not sure what next, I wouldn't mind Wakefield again as I haven't been there in a while now

• 3 weeks later...

Small update, got a hillclimb tomorrow in Canberra which is always fun. 

Also got a new alarm (viper 3606) as the old one was horrendous and had a short range, went off randomly and I needed to fix my central locking after changing my dash. Very very happy. 

Also got some floor mats from car mats direct. Super nice fit and finish. Overall super happy

Also finally have settled on the design for the baltech dash :)

20201017_155641.jpg

20201017_155808.jpg

20201017_155318.jpg

20201017_155708.jpg

• Like 3