SAU Community

Fuel problems

My GT-R did 10L/100km once. But usually it does 14L (when I daily drove it).

My Liberty does 11L average, stop-start kills it (which is why hybrid cars makes so much sense in cities/suburbs).

Always fill 7 Eleven (Mobil) 98.

It makes sense to try difference sources of fuel. Also fuel can vary between stations, so brand doesn't usually matter. Except if it's Caltex or United, not putting that crap in my cars (I don't need ethanol fuel).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Slap said:

Mobil will contain ethnol.

All premium grade fuels have it.

How much is in it can vary that is all.

That's if you're buying E10 or 94RON

All the 95/98RON stuff has no ethanol - how do I know? I run an Ethanol Content Sensor and it's fed real time to my kebabtech ECU (previously to my Adaptronic and also Zeitronix controller).

BP, Mobil, Caltex (of which all I've been running lately because cbf with E85 economy) has 0% ethanol in their 98RON.

On 11/09/2019 at 3:20 PM, Slap said:

United.. probably a high ethanol blend 95 or 98.  I smell the ethanol in there 91.

Most 95 and 98 contain no more than 10% . Becarefull  if its special blend 98 it could have more.

The pumps need to state when they contain %10 or less. If they dont who knows how much it was blended to meet the specific octane.

Please stop spreading bullshit.

"E10 contains 10% ethanol and E85 contains85% ethanol. Australian Government legislation defines an ethanol blended fuel ascontaining more than 1% ethanol, but limits the amount of ethanol in petrol to 10%. ... Under section 12A of the Fuel Quality Standards Act 2000, it is an offence to not comply with the standards."

"There is a difference between states on whether premium gas specifically has ethanolin it or not. Or, more correctly, whether it's required to have it in it. ... This is because theyhave to use the ethanol to raise the octane level of their gasoline blend in order to satisfy the higher octane requirements of premium.Oct 12, 2012"

When a fuel claims or shows no ethanol content it is usualy replaced with another solvent very similar such as bp98 using toluene. Wich also has similar effects on plastics and rubbers.

Bps way of of raising the highest octane non ethanol fuel. Use another solvent.

48 minutes ago, Slap said:

Maybe your sensor cant sense low amounts.

The Haltech flex sensor is extremely accurate for reading ethanol content. Being based (or is resold ?) on the GM continental sensor I believe it is the benchmark for sensing ethanol. With Caltex Vortex 98 it flicks between 0.0 - 1.0%, but Caltex does state that Vortex MAY contain ethanol. BP Ultimate 98 definitely does not, it's part of their selling point, but yes does use Toluene. Don't know about the other 98ron fuel, but for 98ron ethanol content is supposed to be a bit frowned upon. It is certainly not the basis to raise the Ron to 98 that is for sure.

The point is the Haltech flex sensor is extremely accurate. It has to be as the good ECUs rely on this info for timing advance or retard. If it was not accurate heaps of cars would be going BANG !

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BK said:

With Caltex Vortex 98 it flicks between 0.0 - 1.0%

This also happens when you find water gets into the fuel, hence you'll find ethanol that is sitting around for ages and not sealed properly ends up reading a bit higher (ask me how I know) :D 

Started up my car on 9 month old ethanol, read 87~88%

Ethanol is used to raise the octane.

If not then other solvents are used and they dont have the same goverment restrictions meaning that they can use more or less depending on the base octane blend and not have to tell you how much.

Edited by Slap

Oh FFS!

I see the stupid is on the rise again.

Where did the stupid find a reference to Australian fuels that uses the word "gasoline", I wonder. Probably nowhere. That paragraph reeks of pertaining to the US only.

I pose the question. What is the difference between these two seemingly equivalent "solvents", ethanol and toluene? What makes either of those a solvent and not the base hydrocarbon making up most of the rest of the fuel? By that I mean the straight and branched alkanes, the other cyclic aromatics and everything else that is "petrol". Please submit your 1500 word essay on the subject.

Extension assignment. Why does toluene do what it does in hydrocarbon fuels? And, why does ethanol do what it does in hydrocarbon fuels? Bonus marks for fully describing the effects on combustion speed, latent heat, radical species concentration as combustion product intermediates, and so on.

By the way, water is a solvent. It is the universal solvent. Well, it's pretty universal - it doesn't misc so well with non-polar chemicals. If I were to replace the toluene in my BP98 with water, would it be equivalent? Or maybe we could use trichloroethane. That's a pretty good solvent. Would have to be equivalent to toluene and ethanol, no? Please submit your other 1500 word essay on this subject too.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I see gts schoolboy couldnt resist arming up with his keyboard , unforunatley this isnt school or some kind of competition on who can philosophy scapegoat digs. So the reply he posted makes as much sense as a duck driving a plane.

Why use water as a replacment for ethanol?

Believe what you want.

Think about this, How did Bp survive when it looked like it was going under.

Why would caltex and others use a percentage ethatnol instead of or with toluene?

Did you ever hear of toluene prior to this thread?

Ethanol has a well known bad name and is actualy a decent product.

Toluene is mostly unheard of.

Makes sense to use it and claim .

Petrol /gasoline do you seriously think that australia gets better fuel regulations than america?

Bahahahahaha fool.

At least slaps spelling has gotten better. Fyi i happily use united E10 95ron in my non performance shitboxes and prefer it over 91 puke and overpriced 98. The skyline only gets the best, E85 and on the odd occasion BP 98.

• Like 2

"Toluene is one of the higher-value molecules already in use in manygasoline blends. The main benefit is that it's an octane booster that does not dilute the energy content of the gasoline like ethanol does. ... Addingtoluene is more likely to improve low-octane gas than high-octane gas.Oct 9, 2012"