SAU Community

R32 GTR, strange noise in cabin when turning

Any idea what this noise could be ? Sounds like it’s coming from inside the cabin which is strange. And it’s not just in my head a few mates all agree.

So it has to be something from between the wheel bearings and the rack, putting the sound into the cabin.

Bearings seem fine and grease either side of discs, so could it be something to do with the rack ? Possibly even power steering pump. Happens in both directions so it’s looking that way and yes, there’s plenty of fluid in the system and the belts tight.

Anyone experienced anything similar  ??

Hicas has been blocked off too by previous owner could it be related to the

Edited by McGarryR32
Spelling

It's got nothing to do with HICAS. My R32 makes a similar noise when I turn the wheel ~90° - but without the pulsing that yours is doing. More just a sustained scraping noise. My noise sounds like it is originating in the column itself. Mine is definitely not in the wheel wells. I don't know what it is, and I don't know how to go about diagnosing it.

If R32s had a vacuum assisted power steering (to invent something that doesn't really exist) I'd almost think that there was a leaky seal that opens up at a certain rotation position and cornering force.

It's weird, but I don't worry about it. Been there for 10+ years on my car.