SAU Community

Trailering an R34?

I was wondering if anyone here has had to trailer an R34 GT-R before? I'm from the US and as most of you probably know they're generally illegal here until they turn 25 years old but there are a few exceptions under our Show or Display law. I bought one of those eligible cars and currently have it stored in Canada until next year when I can bring it in. Once it's legal I'll need to trailer it since it's 2500 kilometers from where it's at to Arizona where I live. Needless to say there aren't many people I can ask here in the US who've had experience securing an R34 on a car trailer before so I was hoping someone here could give advice. I've trailered my R32 before when it needed to go to a shop for work but I don't know how the R34 compares in terms of attachment points for straps, clearances, and such.

When I trailered my R32 I used an open U-haul trailer with front tire straps and then used Vulcan rim straps crossed in the rear and everything was nice and secure - that was for trips about 320 kms long. For the R34 since it'll be a much longer distance I'll probably be renting an enclosed car trailer for weather protection and security (especially since they're so rare here in the US that it'll probably be an attention magnet on the way down).

Any tips or insight you guys could give as to the best way to secure the car on a trailer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Nothing particularly tricky about an r34 compared to anything else, unless it is a vspec with the carbon fibre undertrays in place which would make it much harder to get to chassis tie down points. (eg, around the rear subframe)

These days I always just use wheel tie downs, I have an open trailer and they are very quick and secure. Unfortunately if you are using an enclosed trailer you will be somewhat at the mercy of the available tie down points in the trailer, and depending on width it can be hard to get to the wheels to tie down there

4 hours ago, Duncan said:

Nothing particularly tricky about an r34 compared to anything else, unless it is a vspec with the carbon fibre undertrays in place which would make it much harder to get to chassis tie down points. (eg, around the rear subframe)

These days I always just use wheel tie downs, I have an open trailer and they are very quick and secure. Unfortunately if you are using an enclosed trailer you will be somewhat at the mercy of the available tie down points in the trailer, and depending on width it can be hard to get to the wheels to tie down there

Thanks for the input. I hadn't thought about that with the undertray. Like Mark said, it's a V-spec since only the MP2 V-specs like this one I have or an M-Spec Nur are legal for US import right now (although the latter will remain much more of a hassle until 2023).

The trailer I'm planning on renting will be an 8.5x20 ft model with both D-rings and E-track so hopefully I can just do something like this without too much hassle:

tie-downs-on-corvette-popup.jpg

On 9/20/2019 at 11:46 PM, GeeDog said:

I use 4 of these:

Tyre strap

Along with 4 x 2500kg ratchet straps - one on each wheel. 

Haven't seen those before. Those look really handy. I'll have to see if I can get some over here in the States.

On 9/20/2019 at 9:32 PM, GTSBoy said:

Straps up and over the tyres, like a tow truck, is the most secure.

On 9/21/2019 at 1:49 AM, Duncan said:

Agree this is the best and quickest way if the trailer is set up for it.

Otherwise, I tie it exactly as per your pic

Okay, thanks for the additional input! What I'll probably do is get a least a pair of over-the-wheel straps for at least the front to go with a set or two or lasso and/or rim straps for all four corners as added insurance.