SAU Community

M35 stereo head unit install

Ottdurr

My factory stereo has stopped working plus I'd quite like to have features such as aux cord, band expander, subwoofer rca plugs etc so I'm going to fit a new head unit. I know the best way is to buy a new fascia with the heater controls and a double din slot but I'm unable to fine one for less than $200 which im just not willing to pay for a piece of plastic. My solution is to leave the factory stereo in place and just route the plugs to a new head unit which I will hide in the glovebox. When I tested this the stereo worked but the air conditioning buttons lost all function, it seems the factory stereo must be plugged in for the heater and fan to function which seems silly. My idea was to just leave the factory stereo plugged in and just using splice connectors to piggyback all the cables over to the new head unit so they are both plugged in. Obviously I will just avoid turning on the old stereo. Will this work?

There is quite a few threads on this . You will need a new double din fascia, one with the heater controls built in. THEN you can put in the new stereo. Heater controls are all tied up with the stock stereo