SAU Community

25bigbox no 5th????

Hey so I recently got a 25bigbox into my r32 no speedo drive yet but the hole is covered so oil ain't pissin out everywhere but this strange thing is occurring I can change 1-5 perfectly fine  no crunches etc as it's a brand new reco box but changing from 4th to 5th it's like it just stays in 4th like 5th doesnt even exist. I'll push in clutch smoothly change from.4th to 5th and the rpm stays pretty much exactly the same like its still in 4th gear. Any ideas????

Edited by 2jzvstheworld

Hey so I recently got a 25bigbox into my r32 no speedo drive yet but the hole is covered so oil ain't pissin out everywhere but this strange thing is occurring I can change 1-5 perfectly fine  no crunches etc as it's a brand new reco box but changing from 4th to 5th it's like it just stays in 4th like 5th doesnt even exist. I'll push in clutch smoothly change from.4th to 5th and the rpm stays pretty much exactly the same like its still in 4th gear. Any ideas????

1 hour ago, 2jzvstheworld said:

as it's a brand new reco box

Take it back to the reco merchant who built it and ask him nicely to fix it (ie install 5th gear selector fork) I have found taking my 6 foot 4 110kg son with me on these missions gets fast positive action.

Edited by Rusty Nuts
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rusty Nuts said:

Take it back to the reco merchant who built it and ask him nicely to fix it (ie install 5th gear selector fork) I have found taking my 6 foot 4 110kg son with me on these missions gets fast positive action.

Argg i was afraid of this... means pulling it out and sending it back via freight halfway down the f*@$ing country... cheers anyway

Well it depends on how fast you are going.  At low speeds the change in revs will be minor. You need to be more precise. When you say revs stay "pretty much exactly the same" are they in fact exactly the same or is there a small drop? Try it at a higher speed (in an appropriate setting) and then also change down quickly and see if the revs rise.

Duplicate threads merged, (because I think both answers are right!). First make certain it is not selecting 5th (ie, at freeway speeds are you sure the revs are identical when you change), if it is not selecting 5th it is box out and get them to fix whatever part of gearbox magic they didn't put together correctly.....

When the car is off, and you move it through all 5 gears (+r) does it make the same clunking noises into each gear? If there is no noise or resistance into 5th that is a pretty good sign something is wrong internally...

2 hours ago, KiwiRS4T said:

Well it depends on how fast you are going.  At low speeds the change in revs will be minor. You need to be more precise. When you say revs stay "pretty much exactly the same" are they in fact exactly the same or is there a small drop? Try it at a higher speed (in an appropriate setting) and then also change down quickly and see if the revs rise.

80km same 180km same

I am having a very hard time working out how this is possible.

4th gear on same selector fork as 3rd gear. Right? The user can change from 3rd into 4th. Right? Presumably, can change out of 4th and back into 3rd, right? Or even go down to 1st or 2nd? Right? So, gearbox is acting perfectly in the lower 4 gears. Right?

So, I posit to you, that if you try to change to 5th, you move the selector out of 4th.....it should be in bloody neutral. Not 4th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The shenanigans going on inside this box would appear to be larger than "staying in 4th when trying to change to 5th", because that doesn't sound possible.

Edited by GTSBoy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GTSBoy said:

I am having a very hard time working out how this is possible.

4th gear on same selector fork as 3rd gear. Right? The user can change from 3rd into 4th. Right? Presumably, can change out of 4th and back into 3rd, right? Or even go down to 1st or 2nd? Right? So, gearbox is acting perfectly in the lower 4 gears. Right?

So, I posit to you, that if you try to change to 5th, you move the selector out of 4th.....it should be in bloody neutral. Not 4th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The shenanigans going on inside this box would appear to be larger than "staying in 4th when trying to change to 5th", because that doesn't sound possible.

agreed, seems almost magical . or the gear ration in 5th is the same as 4th, which is ridiculous but makes more sense than it somehow selecting 4th again...

Don't know if this has been asked but  . . . Are you using a R32 shifter or a R33 shifter, short shifter, checked if they are installed correctly, bush at the bottom of the shifter ok ? ? ?