SAU Community

What is this dodgy wiring job under my steering column?

R33 S1 Auto 

So I’ve had this car for some time, and I’m currently restoring it, and I’ve found a wire thats been (dodgily) connected to 2 other wires in the steering column those being a green + black and green + yellow wires. Which then runs underneath my centre console. 

Does anyone know what this wire is connecting/connected to? 

Any help is greatly appreciated :))

image.jpg

Edited by JDM Fan Boy

Looks like the wire is connected to a diode which only allows power to be shunted in one direction !

Where does the wire end up under your console ?

Pull out your console and post up a pic ! It may shed more light on what its supplying power to or from.

Alarm install. To flash the indicators. Diodes are there so you can still operate left and tight indicators seperatly but both will flash by alarm..

Or flux capacitor.

Possible the car had a TV/DVD screen in it at some point. It may be using  switched 12V from the column,  and the handbrake  sensor to know when it should turn the screen on/off. I can't think of a reason anyone would use the handbrake switch for any other reason. 

Not only that, no one in the world ever bother with these, and depending on the model, just hooked the look to ground or 12V permanently. Then it was up to the driver to not watch TV while driving. :)

12 minutes ago, Steve85 said:

Possible the car had a TV/DVD screen in it at some point. It may be using  switched 12V from the column,  and the handbrake  sensor to know when it should turn the screen on/off. I can't think of a reason anyone would use the handbrake switch for any other reason. 

Not only that, no one in the world ever bother with these, and depending on the model, just hooked the look to ground or 12V permanently. Then it was up to the driver to not watch TV while driving. :)

The Pioneer head unit I installed in my GT-R will only display some menu options if the handbrake is engaged.

I decided to be the one person in the world that did wire it up to the handbrake but it was a direct cable and no splicing required

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Robzilla32 said:

I decided to be the one person in the world that did wire it up to the handbrake but it was a direct cable and no splicing required

I stand correct. One guy... lol ?

Bee-R utilises handbrake for the second setting as launch control
Might have a signed one and put the diode because the internet sayz diodes protekt fingz. (I doubt he's experienced in electrics judging by the instal quality)