SAU Community

CANBUS

blind_elk

I have been converting my 32 to as many LED globes as will fit. I purchased some amber LEDs for the rear indicators (BA15S, 1156), but they caused to indicators to rapid flash (like when a globe somewhere is blown). I then purchased some advertised as CANBUS-compatible, but they also rapid flash.

Is there a way to confirm if the LED is in fact CANBUS-compatible (construction, watts, multimeter, etc)?

• 2 weeks later...

You can try to find a flasher relay that's "LED compatible", or run load resistors (half defeats the purpose IMO).

I got some Philips resistors if you're interested (I bought TapTurn relay).

CANbus is for newer cars that would throw an error light if a bulb was out.

On 10/5/2019 at 9:11 AM, blind_elk said:

I have been converting my 32 to as many LED globes as will fit. I purchased some amber LEDs for the rear indicators (BA15S, 1156), but they caused to indicators to rapid flash (like when a globe somewhere is blown). I then purchased some advertised as CANBUS-compatible, but they also rapid flash.

Is there a way to confirm if the LED is in fact CANBUS-compatible (construction, watts, multimeter, etc)?

https://automotivesuperstore.com.au/aerpro-ledres

• 8 months later...

Further to my problem, I have done the same to my N16Pulsar. I got some "canbus" LEDs, fitted one to the front left, and everything works fine. So then replaced the right side, and it hyper flashes! WTF!

Anyone got an explanation?

Yes, finally resolved myself to the need to modify the system. Only ever purchased units "guaranteed" not to hyperflash. Jaycar have flasher units, FYI.

So, where is the flasher can in aR32? Anyone know where the can is in a N16 Pulsar (1.8DE)?

I am sooooo glad Nissan make these cars so easy to work on and replace parts that break down.

Pretty much pulled the entire instrument panel apart, cannot for the life of me locate the relay (can hear it, just can't find it!).

Well, I've solved one problem - when I arm / disarm the alarm, only the LH indicators flash. Found the (smashed) fuse, and replaced it.

But now I have a bigger problem - NO indicators OR hazards! So I know the return circuits are ok, because the lights come on with the alarm arm /disarm. But because I have no hazards  /indicators, I can't trace the relay sound.

All solved.

Reason everything suddenly stopped - I somehow unplugged the connector to the back of the hazard switch!

Indicators work fine with a replacement flasher designed for LEDs - SY4018, $14.95 from Jaycar Electronics. (in the "auto" section, not the electronic parts section)