Jump to content
  • Welcome to SAU Community

    Welcome to SAU Community, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SAU Community by signing in or creating an account.

    • Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
    • Get your own profile page, build reputation and make new friends
    • Send personal messages to other members.
    • See fewer ads!

    Consider joining our newsletter for the latest content updates

    Click here to register


Sign in to follow this  
Tardo

S15 Spec R conversion to RB26DETT

Recommended Posts

Soo, looking to re engine an S15 with an RB 26 coupled to an R33 gearbox and drive train. I know S15's have had their RB20DET coupled to an R33 g'box using an adapter plate. The 26 won't need a plate, so I was wondering if it was pretty much a drop in bolt up situation. Anyone have any experience with this conversion?

Tardo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No S15 ever had an RB20 from the factory. You're thinking SR20, and SR20 connected to RB gearboxes is, as you suggest, a tried and true thing to do.

RB20/25/26 into S chassis has been done so many times that you will only find about 13 gonktrillion threads about it all over the internet. Search.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, GTSBoy, you were correct about the SR20, one too many chardy's! Sadly, that option evaporated. While in the negotiating process, the seller actually came to the conclusion that an RB26 was a good idea and pulled the pin. While internet searches are great, I like , and have found, meeting face to face with guys who have done this mod, to be a better source of free flowing info.

So the project begins. All I have to do is convince the Millennial to get his hands dirty!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So we have an S15, nice car, and we have started the collection process. Got the RB26, and have had the sump modified. In the meantime, the car is not running well. Missing completely on No4 cylinder. The SR20 has numerous mods including GK Tech rocker arm stoppers, Tomei valve guides etc. Have checked/changed coils and injectors. Compression is great, cylinder leak test (valves) coming up. My mechanic mate is thorough and professional, but he is not Jap fluent. In fact , he is a Europe/ Pom specialist and I am a little concerned he may be out of his depth in the analysis of the problem. Anyone know a Nissan specialist in Brisbane apart from the guys up at Caboolture?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having gone through engine conversions, I think the smart move here is not to put a RB26 into a S15, mainly because the amount of power the SR20 can do is going to be enough for most sane applications in that platform.

Plus you could probably sell the RB26 and more than pay for a reasonable SR20 rebuild and have a fun vehicle 😛

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Tardo said:

I am a little concerned he may be out of his depth in the analysis of the problem

Don't need to be a specialist. These things are as common as muck and as sophisticated as a toilet plunger. If you can diagnose the complicated crap the Euros pump out, you should be able to diagnose a dirty old Nissan in seconds.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Kinkstaah said:

Having gone through engine conversions, I think the smart move here is not to put a RB26 into a S15, mainly because the amount of power the SR20 can do is going to be enough for most sane applications in that platform.

Plus you could probably sell the RB26 and more than pay for a reasonable SR20 rebuild and have a fun vehicle 😛

VQ25 would the fun choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Tardo said:

So we have an S15, nice car, and we have started the collection process. Got the RB26, and have had the sump modified. In the meantime, the car is not running well. Missing completely on No4 cylinder. The SR20 has numerous mods including GK Tech rocker arm stoppers, Tomei valve guides etc. Have checked/changed coils and injectors. Compression is great, cylinder leak test (valves) coming up. My mechanic mate is thorough and professional, but he is not Jap fluent. In fact , he is a Europe/ Pom specialist and I am a little concerned he may be out of his depth in the analysis of the problem. Anyone know a Nissan specialist in Brisbane apart from the guys up at Caboolture?

how do you know its not the injector or coil?
Checked cas? Properly checked coils with multimeter? Cleaned Injectors? injector fires when cas is spun?

I've got a rb25 swapped sil80 and wouldn't recommend it unless a drag car due to keeping them cool, ac still working and getting around the ABS unit and triple the cost of what you think it will cost to be done properly- no temp problems, working ac, sump clearance, sway bar clearance and meeting emissions etc.

Can recommend East Coast Customs at Northgate. I have used them in the past with my cars from head gasket replacement & full tunes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, all, for the advice. I hear you loud and clear, but the millenial is set on doing this and I'm just along for the ride. The S20 has new coils and plugs swapped out and the injectors cleaned and tested. I'll talk to East Coast and see what they can do.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update! Much stuffing around! Idiot who installed Tomei cams managed to bend the intake cam to the point where the intake valve was opening too late to allow fuel to match ignition in number 4 cylinder. All ok after $2K investigation/restoration! I now have a lot of time, sweat, (Brisbane) and effort invested in this car, only to see the engine parked as the Millennial pursues his clean hands, fully skinned knuckles approach to the RB26 conversion. I know, I know, don't castigate me, he will turn out to be ok. I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, niZmO_Man said:

Wang + leather seats?

I think because the Millennial wanted a JDM. I'll ask him!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...