SAU Community

Changing R33 GTR Turbos - advice

Links

Thanks for more input all, sounds like i'll need to invest in a few more spanners.

As for going to single - good question, i'm here and have the -7's so i'll just forge forward and in years to come can come back and reflect on where it all went wrong on this post...

Any thoughts around the gasket / stud kit - plan is to get the complete one and replace the studs potentially?

Views on the oil restrictor for the '7s?

• Sad 1

I got the turbos and manifolds off with. Basic set of spanners and a set of kincrome swivel head ratcheting spanners. Those things are super handy for tight spots. You can loosen manifold nuts one click at a time. The secret is to have a ratchet mechanism that is really tight and doesn't have too much angle between ratchet teeth. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, burn4005 said:

I got the turbos and manifolds off with. Basic set of spanners and a set of kincrome swivel head ratcheting spanners. Those things are super handy for tight spots. You can loosen manifold nuts one click at a time. The secret is to have a ratchet mechanism that is really tight and doesn't have too much angle between ratchet teeth. 

And you also went to a single :)

Moral of the story, every GT-R owner that wants response and power ends up going to a single modern twin scroll turbo.

• Like 2

On 10/25/2019 at 7:21 AM, burn4005 said:

Thanks for that, good advice - i've been mindful on the tight spots of getting to everything.

Regarding restrictors, yes the ball bearing cartridges take less oil than the stock bush bearings meaning oil restriction to be used. I have HKS GT-SS / -9s and the oil restriction came in the way of a restricted banjo bolts supplied with turbos. The difference is something like 5mm To 1.5mm, so definitely required.

16 hours ago, BK said:

Regarding restrictors, yes the ball bearing cartridges take less oil than the stock bush bearings meaning oil restriction to be used. I have HKS GT-SS / -9s and the oil restriction came in the way of a restricted banjo bolts supplied with turbos. The difference is something like 5mm. To 1.5mm, so definitely required.

Thanks for confirming Ben - the gasket kit I put on the front page has an option to have a 1.0mm restrictor included in it so will look at getting this when ordering.

Andrew and Michael at Kudos motorsport are great. Yeah mine was the full HKS GT-SS kit with everything included. Looks like Kudos are using the HKS restricted banjo bolts I mentioned in their gasket kit.

19 hours ago, BK said:

Looks like Kudos are using the HKS restricted banjo bolts I mentioned in their gasket kit.

Awesome - was looking at that earlier today, will order the kit from them. Thanks Ben.