SAU Community

Ahh sh*t rounded oil return help

the aluminium adapter that goes into the block is rounded and it’s fu**ing tight... 

basically I was removing my an 10 oil drain/return for a bigger ID metal one as the holset was smoking. 

ive tried molgrips but it literally doesn’t budge only rounds it more. it’s a 28mm so the off the shelf rounded nut socket thingys won’t fit. Any ideas ? I might try file it a little and hammer a 27mm socket onto it.

F44CD9A6-13B9-4A32-9B43-398564808FAF.jpeg

Edited by r34.rory

3 hours ago, r34.rory said:

the aluminium adapter that goes into the block is rounded and it’s fu**ing tight... 

basically I was removing my an 10 oil drain/return for a bigger ID metal one as the holset was smoking. 

ive tried molgrips but it literally doesn’t budge only rounds it more. it’s a 28mm so the off the shelf rounded nut socket thingys won’t fit. Any ideas ? I might try file it a little and hammer a 27mm socket onto it.

F44CD9A6-13B9-4A32-9B43-398564808FAF.jpeg

If you can find a couple of nuts that will fit on wind them both on. hold the bottom one and tighten the top one - really tight . Then put a spanner on the bottom one and undo...supposing that you have the room to do this.

• Like 1

a bit of heat always helps, ally fittings can seize in a cast block unfortunately.

Given that its already f**ked id take to it with a hammer and chisel after a bit of heat to try and get it started. Once it goes should be easy enough to get on.

sounds funny but another option might be those plumbers pipe wrenches as its a pretty big fitting if you have space

Is this in a GTR?  If yes then it makes it a dog of a job as the front drive shafts are right in the way and impossible to do anything from underneath.  If not you should be able to get to it from underneath with as Duncan mentions a pipe wrench or something.  If it's totally rounded off try grinding two flat faces each side of the fitting (in the right spot to be able to get a spanner or shifter straight onto it) and see if that works.  Having 2 wider faces might give you a bit more purchase on it.  Could be a motor out job if you haven't got much room to play with under there.....

21 minutes ago, Rusty Nuts said:

Mate, I found that classic piece of British engineering laying in a paddock on the old mans farm. This is it after being freed up and oiled.

Our dam has been equally kind over the years as the drought has gone on. Got a hilux alternator from it the other week

• Haha 2