SAU Community

NEED HELP! Wiring R32 RB20DET into A31 Cefiro

dj8684

Hey guys,

I installed an R32 RB20DET into my Cefiro but I have a few connectors that I'm unsure of where the go.  Can someone help me out? 

First, these are the 3 plugs from the original RB20E Harness on my 1990 Cefiro.  2 of them don't have a home, and 1 plugged into the Skyline harness that came with the car...

TMOmsmO.jpg

These two plugs are from the Skyline harness that I'm unsure of where they plug into...

g87yvV9.jpg

This connector is from the Skyline harness as well.  I'm guessing it's from the diagnostic port?

VQl8q27.jpg

Moving into the engine bay, I have these three blank connectors from where the Auto transmission connectors went.  Do I need to do anything with these three connectors? 

FIZW2bA.jpg

Something I hadn't noticed before until yesterday when I was taking these photos is the previous owner modded this connector.  Can anyone mention what it was from and why they would do this when the car was Automatic before?

2s4s54t.jpg

These two connectors are from the Skyline harness over near the windshield washer bottle.  I'm guessing they were for the headlights but I'm not sure...

xSfyLTz.jpg

DPvDMFQ.jpg

Onto the transmission, I have the two reverse lights and neutral switch that I don't know where to plug into.  The reverse lights plug (I think that's it) also has the ends chopped off which I'll have to source a new connector or new sensor...

315yYFe.jpg

aYJYoVx.jpg

Finally, this is the sensor? on the power steering rack that I have no idea where it plugs into.  In fact, the plug was cut off apparently too so I don't know what the connector even looks like...

Hj36QfM.jpg

KxgsSt8.jpg

There is one more connector I forgot to take a picture of when I did these from the Cefiro harness down by the windshield washer bottle that comes from the headlight harness that doesn't have a plug.  The original plug was on the same line as the old MAF plug.  I'll try and snap a photo later.

Thanks guys!

So I've been trying to find more and more info on some of these connectors... and I may be wrong, but my car does not have a Hicas and never did...

Is this steering rack from a Hicas model?  I was looking at parts diagrams and noticed some racks have that pressure valve on the steering rack that I have a missing plug and some don't.  Could the previous owner have swapped in a Hicas model rack and just cut off the connector since there wasn't a place to hook it up or do the non-hicas models also come with that pressure valve?

I think the pressure switch is independent of HICAS. But I might be wrong.

Cefiros definitely did not have HICAS. Most R32s (of any interest, not the shitty base ones) had HICAS.

There is a solenoid valve on the front rack that gives the variable power assist, which is associated with HICAS. When certain things** involved in HICAS are killed/removed, you get dead heavy steering on R32s.

**like the HICAS computer for a start!

I would suggest that your rack might have come from a Skyline. Have you ever driven this thing? If it has the solenoid and it is unpowered, I would expect heavy steering.

As to everything else....what are you doing for wiring diagrams? The full R32 RB20DET wiring diagram is available in the R32 GTR manual, which is freely downloadable in lots of places. Cefiro, I don't know. Maybe there's one somewhere. But attempting this without at least the R32 drawings would be a mad thing to do!

7 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

I think the pressure switch is independent of HICAS. But I might be wrong.

Cefiros definitely did not have HICAS. Most R32s (of any interest, not the shitty base ones) had HICAS.

There is a solenoid valve on the front rack that gives the variable power assist, which is associated with HICAS. When certain things** involved in HICAS are killed/removed, you get dead heavy steering on R32s.

**like the HICAS computer for a start!

I would suggest that your rack might have come from a Skyline. Have you ever driven this thing? If it has the solenoid and it is unpowered, I would expect heavy steering.

As to everything else....what are you doing for wiring diagrams? The full R32 RB20DET wiring diagram is available in the R32 GTR manual, which is freely downloadable in lots of places. Cefiro, I don't know. Maybe there's one somewhere. But attempting this without at least the R32 drawings would be a mad thing to do!

I only drove the car about 80km in total since I bought it before the RB20E took a crap on me.  I've been finding a lot of shotty wiring and mismatched parts so I wouldn't be surprised if the rack did come from a Skyline.  The thing leaks like crazy and has dumped all the power steering fluid.  Either way, I need to source an A31 one or an S13 one but was curious as to why I have no further connectors for the rack on any of the harnesses.

I have the R32 All Engine Manual pdf that has the pin layouts and circuit diagram but doesn't tell me specifically what each connector is for.  Is there a more comprehensive wiring diagram PDF out there for the R32.  I have one for the S15 that has every connector labeled with where it goes and what it's for but haven't seen anything like that for the R32 yet.

The modded connector with the wires joined is done when converting to manual to bypass the inhibitor, easiest way to do the wiring if you can find one is the de loom from an a31 or c33.

Cefiro did come with hicas on some models.

16 hours ago, WMDC35 said:

The modded connector with the wires joined is done when converting to manual to bypass the inhibitor, easiest way to do the wiring if you can find one is the de loom from an a31 or c33.

Cefiro did come with hicas on some models.

I was thinking of that but the older Cefiros have square connectors.  It'd have to come from a 92-94 Cefiro where they came with the rounded connectors but they are missing the oil pressure switch connector in the starter harness.  I may just break down and pay someone that knows what they're doing with the wiring so I don't end up frying my ECU. lol

On a more interesting note, I met up with a Cefiro part vendor local to me and he had a couple A31 steering racks for sale.  One was a Hicas edition 2WD and the other was from a 4wd Cefiro. 

The interesting bit is that the Hicas one did NOT have the pressure sensor valve like mine does but of course it has the extra hoses for the Hicas, however... the 4wd Hicas DID have the pressure valve sensor...

So my guess is... the previous owner swapped out the original steering rack with whatever he could find, in this case a 4wd one, and ended up chopping off the connector which would explain why it doesn't have one, since there is no where for it to plug into anything.  Also might explain why the damn things has been leaking since I bought it... it probably didn't fit right. 

• 1 month later...