SAU Community

Mid life crisis

Rios

Hi everyone about to pick up my 93 gtst r33 tomorrow.

I am approaching 50 & this will be my first turbo car.

Here are some of the specs maybe you can tell me if it's quality or not.

6 boost manifold
64/66 precision turbo
EMS stinger 6860 ecu
50mm waste gate turbosmart
New gaskets studs and nuts
Walbro 460L e85 fuel pump
1200 cc injectors
Front facing intake plenum
3.5 inch exhaust system
Screamer pipe plumbed back.
Turbo smart fuel regulator
Fuel regulator adapter
K&N air fliter kit
Cusko oil catch can
Front slotted disk rotors
Bendix brakes
New water pump
New split fire coil packs new sparks plugs
Hicas eleminator kit
New power steering belt
Xyz drift spec qoilovers
Fenix alloy radiator
Alloy washer bottle
Exedy hd clutch
Car is currently running 315kw on 18psi on e85
Push button start
Optima yellow top ( 3 months old 4x4 mounted trickle charger )
Upgraded harmonic balancer.

Wheels : 20" staggered vertini drift gold/chrome lip with zenna tyres off sets rear 20x10 front 20x8.5

• Like 1

2 hours ago, djr81 said:

Reads well until you get to the last line.....

Agreed, bin that shit!  Get some nice Jap wheels on it ASAP!

Edit- I just googled them and they’re not what I expected, post a pic and I’ll reserve my judgement till then!

The rest sounds good though. Hopefully a well sorted rig that make you wonder why you didn’t get a snail ? ? powered beast in your life years ago!

Hello. Welcome, i'm no mechanic. But as a keyboard warrior... well not real great there either.

Your parts list looks pretty good.  Certainly not seeing any red flags. The wheels appear to be a copy of the Volk GTS range. As long as they are up to the task, it's your preference on them. 

Do you happen to know who built the car, or who tuned it? That can give you a lot of info if you can chase them down.

Hi I need your help as I was cleaning around the boot lock I pushed down a little lever that wouldn't come back up.

I closed the boot hoping that would reset it now boot won't open.

Welcome to SAU Nick !

That looks like a nice unit.

As to a mid life crisis and approaching 50 !

I get told that a lot and laugh cause if its mid life I should make it to 112.

Hope that's not a fiberglass front bar ! If it is you've gotta reverse park everywhere from now on if you want it to survive.

And those 20s don't look bad at all.

• Haha 1

The only thing I'd be concerned about is, well while the mods list is pretty good (turbo is a bit too big for that intended power) is..

.... are you aware of modded car life? 99.9% of the mods will make the police rather upset.
Modded cars are generally unreliable. If you're well versed in this but this is just first step in Turbo life then all is well.
If you're comparing this to say, a new M2 or something then the experiences will be quite different!

And yes, I too was suprised by the wheels not looking that bad either.

• Like 2

Car mods, police and old guys.

From my experience, I'm 54, you will not have any issues from the police if your car is safe, not too loud, not too low and your not being a dick.

For when you get pulled over, and you eventually will, ensure your intake is boxed/covered, if you have a catch can it is plumbed back, BOV is plumbed back, and if your tune is super rich you clean the unburnt fuel and carbon off your rear bar.

Nothing says pull me over more than the rear bar covered in unburnt fuel and carbon.

The police are more interested is stupid young guys who blatantly flaunt the laws and cruise around creating a massive heat signature.

Enjoy

• Like 3

Now you blokes are scaring me.

I am not much of a hands on car guy still learning.

I just want to go for a short cruise now & then, A bit spirited no burnouts or anything crazy.

This car will be like a hobby for me.

• Like 3

Yep ! What mlr said pretty much sums it up.

"a short cruise" ? Whats your definition ?

The Putty Rd might be your friend here for the test drive you are seeking. 

I go on a very regular basis to clear my head when life pressure happens.

• Like 1

Also getting a RWC in order to transfer it into your name may prove difficult (I am from Victoria so I can't be too sure on life like that in NSW).

It being a hobby is a good mindset to have with a heavily modified car. It being a comfortable, happy, safe, reliable, daily driver to drive 100km each way to work is not so much...

The % of people who have modified cars to make them 100% compliant with our friends at Services NSW is basically 0%. I will however say Services NSW were super easy to deal with as I recently went and took my car there (from vic) to pass a full EPA and they were pretty pleasant.

Enjoy the journey cause owning something like this is definitely a journey!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rios said:

Now you blokes are scaring me.

I am not much of a hands on car guy still learning.

You'll be alright. I'm a total noob at car fixing (i'm way better at breaking them). Just remember to come here and search what's going on... all the main things have been answered! :D

Regarding police attention, I find that it is more your attitude and what you were up to that is the difference. If you have been a tool expect the works, if it's a random stop or breath test, cops are actually pretty cool about these. Most of them, obviously some are still remembering the 90s well and expect a backwards cap and serious attitude.

I've had a cop at a breath test tell me how cool my car was. I was pretty chuffed. And all my interactions so far have been very positive with the police. I do try to pick my moments for spooling though, lonely roads at night or freeway on-ramps, it would be a shame to have my car made un-roadworthy or impounded.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all just an update have no time to drive the car been out once for a 30klm trip.

I am old but my 4 kids range from 11 to 16, I am already thinking of selling.

What should i do keep it and drive it rarely or sell and give up.

How you blokes drive these cars with double and triple the power is beyond me.

• Like 1