SAU Community

Hazard lights fuse keeps blowing

So another indicator/hazard lights thread but really would appreciate your help please. 

Indicator and hazard lights have stopped working. No click near the relay as well. Checked the fuse for hazard and it looked blown so chucked a new one on and yep it blew. Wondering what could cause this? 

I can't find a new Niles IF356 flasher can anywhere and I've been to Repco, Autobarn and SCA and none of them have any flasher cans resembling this. Could it be a matter of the indicator globes need replacing? 

Car is 1999 skyline gt

Edited by Teek

well the good news is that is likely to be straightforward....the hazard light positive is earthed somewhere...

first, unhook the flasher unit and replace the fuse, does it still blow? Yes, replace flasher, no, you have a wiring issue.  It's not impossible it is a globe but unlikely (you could pull out each globe in turn and see if that resolves the issue, don't forget the locally added side repeaters in the guard). Nissan (or amayama) should have the flasher, if not an aftermarket replacement is an option but you will need to connect the terminals correctly.

If it is a wiring issue you really need to start pulling things apart to access the wiring to find the problem, or if that doesn't sound like fun take it to an auto electrician.

Another possibility, as it is non turbo, is to just set it on fire and put the video on youtube, hopefully the advertising income will exceed the value of the car.

1 hour ago, Teek said:

but nah might just keep it for now

Boooooooooo, i wanted to see flames. ?

Keep us posted to what you find, take a bunch of pictures and upload them if you need help. :)

Hi,

So I've pulled the interior out a bit and have noticed that when I use the hazard switch I hear no click at all near the relay. I'm not really that electrical minded so am very confused. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the hazards? I'm not able to find it anywhere for Skylines online

Do you guys recommend other steps that will help pin down?

Edited by Teek

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update on this topic.

So I took it into an auto elec, they did their test and the bloke said when he pushes the hazard switch in very lightly the indicators work and no blown fuse. Told me I need a new hazard switch, okay cool easy done.

So I went in the car and about to drive off from the shop and tried the steps and nothing happened. So I grabbed the guy and said to show me what he did and yeahp nothing was happening. He played around and then all of a sudden everything started working again and it was all good. Indicators, hazards the whole lot. Turned the car off and then back on and then nothing, the relay can make a click sound but the indicators and hazard aren't working again??? 

Then I get home and turned the car off and back onto on and no click from the flasher can at all, nothing. Then few minutes later the flasher can clicks only when the hazards get pressed but not the indicators.
Does that seem like a wiring issue to you?