SAU Community

Rb20det exhaust gasket recommendations?

Hey All

I've checked the forums but nothing, I will need to replace the exhaust gasket soonish - any recommendations. 

Engine will only ever run 220rwkw max. Which is better - metal, aftermarket replacement or genuine Nissan and where is best place to buy pls?

Edited by LINK17
Spelling

You would probably need to resurface the head before you can use a metal gasket properly and your no where near the power rating required to warrant one.

Stick with a standard fibre/graphite gasket until you actually have problems with blow outs.

Yes in the vast majority of cases the studs will break.

The trick is, as your loosening them and they start to bind up don't try and force undoing them.

Wind them back in and WD40 the bejesus out of the stud and wind it in and out until it loosens up and then take them out.

I've never known there to be a untouched RB engine that the back stud isn't snapped off.

Replace the lot and it will save you a world of pain doing it again or suffering exhaust leaks.

Yep permaseal have a pretty good rep !

Or you could, as advised by TerryP above, the standard fibre/graphite gasket is also a brilliant idea.

Its up to you.

It also might be a goo idea to put a straight edge on the exhaust manifold to check it for warping.

No point putting it back on if it bent like a banana.

So what Im saying is - are the studs broken from heat stress over time or cause the exhaust manifold has warped and broken them !

Cast iron manifolds really really dont like and engine wash when hot. 

Stock gasket is best here, the multi layer permaseal, cometic etc are much thinner than the OEM gasket which moves the whole exhaust in towards the head 5-7mm, consequently the holes for the exhaust support brackets then won't line up properly and will need to be modified to fit again. Mr Nissan did well with this gasket. Only advantage of the mls ones is they're reusable many times if the manifold comes off again, the Nissan ones tend to pull apart as it bonds itself to the faces. I still vote oem Nissan.