SAU Community

Need urgent help with my Silvia (Rebuild is required)

silviaz

So my Nissan Silvia s15 has a ton of problems, and I'm worried my budget is going to go overboard. Basically, when I reversed the car it would turn off and it turns out 2 cylinders or whatever is not working and the spark plugs were completely messed up on 2 of them. They were very black and the one cylinder that worked, the spark plugs metal thing on the tip of it actually was broken off but still working. Anyways, replaced spark plug and batteries still the same issue.

When I turn on the car and let it run and even when it's warm it has a knocking like sound. Compression is low as mentioned first cylinder is 120, the second is 145, the third is 128, fourth is 145

I noticed the oil is THICK as hell, I went to drain some and it took quite a long time, maybe this was so the sound of the knocking isn't so rough? And lastly, when trying to put the car into reverse it's a bit of a challenge as it has a bit of a problem going into reverse gear (I think the clutch is gone). Just looking at what the problems could be. Here is a clip of the sound of the engine. Also the spark plug leads all seem to be fine.

I added some oil to pistons and they went up from 120 to 140, so the piston rings are probably gone. Getting genuine parts is going to cost me thousands and I can't afford that. Not to mention I don't even know if the engine block is damaged, if it is I'm screwed. What is my cheapest option here? I was hoping to just replace the head gasket, clean the carbon build up on the pistons, and replace the rings with after market ones.

Worth noting the muffler is all black as it spat out some petrol. Needed some advice urgently on what to do, what are my best options?

silvia.mp3

It looks as though you are in for a world of hurt. 

Different compression levels is not ok, they should be even across the four cylinders, not all over the place like you have. 

Getting the car into gear could be any number of issues, but if it the clutch it's not the end of world. However, that is also likely to be reasonably expensive if you replace it.

I'm not an expert, but you need to do some basic maintenance. Drop all fluids, replace. Change all plugs, change coil packs as required. 
Then see what the car is like. However, based on what you've mentioned, I wouldn't get my hopes up. 

Sorry...

22 minutes ago, Ben C34 said:

If you are poor you should sell it. this will cost thousands to fix, assuming you know what you are doing...which based on that post doesn't appear to be the case

You are definitely right, I have someone who knows about cars but has never done a rebuild. We have the silvia workshop manual though.

Just now, Steve85 said:

It looks as though you are in for a world of hurt. 

Different compression levels is not ok, they should be even across the four cylinders, not all over the place like you have. 

Getting the car into gear could be any number of issues, but if it the clutch it's not the end of world. However, that is also likely to be reasonably expensive if you replace it.

I'm not an expert, but you need to do some basic maintenance. Drop all fluids, replace. Change all plugs, change coil packs as required. 
Then see what the car is like. However, based on what you've mentioned, I wouldn't get my hopes up. 

Sorry...

What about that knocking sound in the clip what do you think it is?

3 minutes ago, silviaz said:

What about that knocking sound in the clip what do you think it is?

It didn't sound entirely terrible. Maybe it's just your top end being noisy? I'm no expert on SRs (or any engine for that matter). 

Does the sound follow RPM? Does it change at all with anything you do?

4 minutes ago, Steve85 said:

It didn't sound entirely terrible. Maybe it's just your top end being noisy? I'm no expert on SRs (or any engine for that matter). 

Does the sound follow RPM? Does it change at all with anything you do?

No, it's when engine is cold and warm. I didn't drive the car because too risky, most likely will break down. What do you think of generic rebuild kits? I found this on ebay

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ENGINE-REBUILD-KIT-NISSAN-SILVIA-S13-S14-S15-2-0L-SR20-SR20DE-SR20DET-91-2002/122935162727?hash=item1c9f81b767:g:0ckAAOSwRTVaa26Q

But worried, if I go cheap like this it will just hurt me a couple months down the line. Labour isn't the issue, I can remove the engine for free and remove the head.

Also was thinking a clutch like this:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISSAN-s15-SILVIA-CLUTCH-KIT-S15-Extra-Heavy-Duty-TURBO-Models-SR20DET-Eng/360792137127?hash=item5400e31da7:g:WcIAAOSwq7JT5W8~

Also the sound does follow the rpm

Edited by silviaz

25 minutes ago, silviaz said:

I get the feeling even if I rebuild the engine the sound will still occur.

Quite possibly. As above sell to someone who wants a project and buy a viable car. How long have you had the car? Next time start a program of regular maintenance and tackle problems one at a time as they arise.

Sounds like a regular SR20 to me, as I've lived with one for many years... this is likely due to the sound of the mp3 as opposed to the sound of the actual engine.

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself re: Mechanical knowledge, most people wouldn't have done the testing you've done, at least you've done a comp test and added oil and such. Most people here (self included) tap out when it comes to Engine or Gearbox Rebuilding when we ilicit experts to do this stuff (with varying results).

Its a bit of an unwritten rule that we should all expect an upcoming engine or gearbox rebuild in where we have 2 options

1) Replace with supposedly good 2nd hand stock RB25/RB26/SR20DET/Associated Gearbox
2) Rebuild engine and usually forge it.
3) Part out/Sell car

In the very worst case you're in this scenario and the above options are your options.

Only you will know really where this fits in your life and what your budget is and how likely it is to get resolved. A lot and I mean A LOT of project cars linger between options 1 and 2, and 3... before 3 happens and sit in garages broken or in various stages of engines out for years. This is a sad place and for your own mental health it's not great to be stuck there lol.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Kinkstaah said:

Sounds like a regular SR20 to me, as I've lived with one for many years... this is likely due to the sound of the mp3 as opposed to the sound of the actual engine.

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself re: Mechanical knowledge, most people wouldn't have done the testing you've done, at least you've done a comp test and added oil and such. Most people here (self included) tap out when it comes to Engine or Gearbox Rebuilding when we ilicit experts to do this stuff (with varying results).

Its a bit of an unwritten rule that we should all expect an upcoming engine or gearbox rebuild in where we have 2 options

1) Replace with supposedly good 2nd hand stock RB25/RB26/SR20DET/Associated Gearbox
2) Rebuild engine and usually forge it.
3) Part out/Sell car

In the very worst case you're in this scenario and the above options are your options.

Only you will know really where this fits in your life and what your budget is and how likely it is to get resolved. A lot and I mean A LOT of project cars linger between options 1 and 2, and 3... before 3 happens and sit in garages broken or in various stages of engines out for years. This is a sad place and for your own mental health it's not great to be stuck there lol.

Yeah definitely haha. Thanks. Rebuild is my option for now, I'm just HOPING the head isn't cracked. the camshafts look good currently, though one part of it is rough like almost a tiny bit chipped off but don't think it affects anything. I'm hoping if I can only replace piston rings, replace head gasket, clean the head get it reconditioned, and there was something I can't remember. But need to fix that sound while I'm at it, so will check the lifters.  Also hoping its not rod knock.

If I want to try and fix the knocking sound is it better that I do it before the rebuild? Because I get the feeling I might have to take off the head multiple times to try find the issue? Or the head has nothing to do with it? I don't want to keep ruining head gaskets.

Seeing as your going rebuild at this stage and posted earlier that you're trying to do it on the cheap, just remember the 'rebuild kit' is only a small part of your upcoming expenses. I'd get these things quoted up before you start - 

* Engine cleaning 
* Crack testing, block, rods, pistons (seeing as you plan to reuse these)
* Bore/hone, with torque plate if you prefer 
* Re-surfacing the block
* Any crank work required, grind/linish
* Balancing 
* Servicing the head
I wouldn't be surprised if you dropped $2,000 at the machine shop. 

Also be prepared to replace parts that you didn't expect to replace. Old hoses, snapped bolts, various other worn connectors etc. You get the idea. It all adds up, I wouldn't be surprised if the whole job ran you $5,000 with you doing all the labour you can, pulling the motor, stripping it, assembly and installation.  

I'm guessing you have all of the tools required to build an engine, if not factor that into the overall cost of the engine build as well. 

In the end the hardest part of sticking to the budget might be avoiding the, 'I'll just do this one thing..." Maybe you want to put a set of studs in it or maybe you want to use ACL bearings, or a metal head gasket... it's a slippery slope my friend lol. 

My 1 thing would be to put a set of rocker arm stoppers in while you're there. 

Good luck :)

• Like 2