SAU Community

R32 GTR losing power when stopping

My 1990 GTR was fine a few weeks ago, only work that was done was that we removed the airbox and both AFMs and tightened down a loose bolt on the charge pipe to fix a leak.  Put everything back together, warmed it up for about 20 minutes (cold here now), then took it out.  When coming up to a stop sign, rather briskly, the 4wd and Anitlock dash lights came on followed by a complete loss of power.  Car started right back up just fine and does not lose power when its moving forward, only when stopping, and its random.  More frequently than not though.  Any thoughts on what the issue could be? Car is all stock.

Thanks for the tip, opened opened the first one and looks ok, but put some new fresh solder on the connectors since I was in there.  Gonna open up the second on and take a look tomorrow.  Hoping that fixes the problem.  I'll post an update soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Problem has been resolved.  Stepped back and thought about this issue logicially...the problem that was seen was symptomatic to running out of gas.  The car has a full tank so thinking the problem was due to fuel delivery.  Checked all injectors and all were good, and then changed the fuel filter out.  After draining the fuel filter into an empty water bottle, it was completely black with chunks of gunk coming out of it!  I'm thinking that the fuel feed was being restricted due to the old fuel filter, causing the car to stall out.  Just my .02 cents but at least its working now without the constant engine shutdown.  Also cleaned out the IAC valve and replaced the non-existent gasket.  This may or may not have helped, but couldn't have hurt since it was covered in carbon.  Hope my situation can help someone out!  Pictures of what came out of the fuel filter attached.  Thanks!

gas 2.jpg

gas.jpg