SAU Community

Tyre rubbing? R32 GTS-T

I've heard a rubbing when I steer sometimes - It was not until I was under the car this weekend that I figured out what the issue is .. My LHS front wheel is rubbing up against the stabilizer front bar, not hard on it but enough to rub against it.  Whereas my RHS does not rub against anything.  Any idea what may be causing this is there something to adjust?   The tyres are brand new 225/50R16. See the photos for a clearer explanation. You can see how close the tire is and the rubbing mark.

20191116_125156.jpg

20191116_125229.jpg

That's your caster rod/ radius rod.

Basically, the tyre is to wide for the offset of your wheels.  You may have previously had tyres the "same" size but in practice different tyre manufacturers have different actual tyre sizes for a nominated size like 225/50r16

Easiest solution, assuming you have plenty of thread on your wheel nuts, is to add a 5mm alloy spacer, which will push the wheel out 5mm, assuming they are legal where you are.

Thanks guys but the new tyres are exactly the same size as the old tyres I just replaced - Is the 5mm space legal in NSW?  If I do not use the space or if I do for that matter will this impede my Blue Slip?

Are spacers the only fix?

Spacers are not legal in Oz.

Wheels that fit correctly are the best solution - assuming that the wheels that you have are the wrong offset.

If the wheels are fine, you may find that you have something bent in the front end.

No, we cannot diagnose that sort of thing from photos.

What wheels are on the car. Width and offset.

5 hours ago, Strexx said:

Thanks guys but the new tyres are exactly the same size as the old tyres I just replaced - Is the 5mm space legal in NSW?  If I do not use the space or if I do for that matter will this impede my Blue Slip?

Are spacers the only fix?

Did you read Duncan's answer regarding differences in actual size versus nominal size among manufacturers? Are your new tyres the same brand and type (and sourced from the same factory/country) as your previous tyres? Do you have stock wheels and if not what is the width and offset of your current wheels? Another possibility is that you have whacked a kerb with that wheel and damaged the suspension.

Spacers are not the only fix. Other solutions are different wheels, tyres, or lock stops.

So being new to this scene - I have no idea what offsets are. I can tell you that the last set of tyres I had on the car were all of a different brand! Yes all my new tyres are same brand, same size, same batch, RS4'sall bought at the same time. The wheel sizing is 16 x 6 1/2 JJ 40 - It's my understanding these are genuine - are they? (See photo with old tyres) In hindsight when the tyres were fitted the wheels were balanced and one wheel was slightly buckled. (On their advice it's on on the rear).  So if it has had a hit - How can I identify what is outta whack and what needs to be replaced?20191102_085640.thumb.jpg.935b55e8c04ca57e5f9c773d4820b233.jpg

Those are standard wheels and you should not have rubbing problems with those tyres on that wheel.

Control arm bushes could be stuffed, upper arm bushes are probably completely rooted. Both of these could cause the upright to lean the wrong way. it could have taken a hit into a kerb and moved the subframe under the chassis rails. You'd be best off taking it to a (good) wheel aligner to see if they can work it out.

225/50 too fat for 6.5 (it's for standard GT-R 16x8 wheels IIRC), should be 205/55. But shouldn't have rubbing issues.

Standard R32 GTS-t wheels are +40, perhaps tyres are deflecting too much? Looks like your car is lowered so geometry would be off.

Most likely something is bent.