SAU Community

Rb20

Adz2332

hey all,

Im going back and forth what to do.

Im building a r32 gtst at the mo. the engine is tired tired, blowing smoke etc. I was going to drop a rb25 i had laying around but i cant be assed going through regency and dealing with all that rubbish now.

Id like to keep under the hood as standard as possible. Was going to forge it, but is there any worth while strocker kits? Is it even worth the time and effort? especially seeing as im going to keep a low mounted turbo, internally gated.

I keep going back and forth between just rebuilding, adding a cam and smaller responsive turbo and leave it at that.

Any ideas?

Well, the RB24 was born from jamming the 25 crank in and boring it out, wasn't it? Or was that RB23 and you get 24 from a 26 crank? Either way, you could enbiggen it reasonably easily.

'Twere me though, having to live with an RB20 again, I'd strap a supercharger onto it down low on the exhaust side and twincharge the f**ker. Make an effective 3L out of the 20+blower and then turbo for that.

You know you want to.

Why bother with Regency, stick the 25 in. No half arsed copper could tell the difference by looking in the bay, plenty of plods have looked in my bay and none have said "Hey thats a 3.0litre in there". Just need plenty of thick paint over the engine number.

RB30 twin cam using the RB25 non vvt head from the R32 RB25 variant

I did this probably going back ~15 years ago now for the exact same reasons as you

Engine bay looked stock as a rock to the untrained eye 

as said rb25 with rb20 covers on it no one would know

Anyway i had a full forged etc rb22 in my drift car for years - in terms of better than rb20 yes but marginally more came from the boost I was able to put in it and because I was drifting so always in high revs.... eventually swapped to stock rb25 - which was just way better

ie: either mild rb20 or rb25 too much $ for not enough return for rb20 stroker

Pretty sure no one, well no one that matters, cares about cam covers.

When I have been pulled over it was always only the rego plate check, and obvious defectable modifications, the only time the engine/body number and tags were wanted was when I had my 25/30 engineered and added to the rego,  1 Hwy patrol officer who was very thorough (he seemed overly angry at the world) and once at a pop up RTA (RMS) inspection station on the Foreshore in Botany.

This all counts for nothing if your involved in a big crash and/or insurance companies get involved.

If a insurance company can prove you car is not roadworthy they pay nothing, having a different engine than what is on the rego papers instantly makes the car unroadworthy.

It would negate the green slip 3rd party as well.

Food for thought for a worse case senario situation.

36 minutes ago, mlr said:

having a different engine than what is on the rego papers instantly makes the car unroadworthy

I always hear that kind of statement but never directly from anyone that it has happened to

Has it ever actually happened?

1 hour ago, mlr said:

If a insurance company can prove you car is not roadworthy they pay nothing, having a different engine than what is on the rego papers instantly makes the car unroadworthy.

38 minutes ago, Ben C34 said:

I always hear that kind of statement but never directly from anyone that it has happened to

Has it ever actually happened?

The actual truth is that the "illegal" / "unroadworthy" / "unapproved" modification has to contribute to the incident that causes the claim for the company to deny the claim. If the insurance company cannot show that the mod was at least partially responsible for the claim, they cannot deny the claim.

That's a pretty low bar though, and one would have to be pretty wary about things that would be very easy for them to make a statement that you couldn't refute. Wheel spacers would be an easy one for them, for example. An illegal, much bigger than permitted, non-engineered engine swap would be something that they would have to have seen a lot of times before and be well prepared with statements about how that could cause just about any incident.

I wouldn't ever bet against a motivated insurance company.

1 hour ago, GTSBoy said:

The actual truth is that the "illegal" / "unroadworthy" / "unapproved" modification has to contribute to the incident that causes the claim for the company to deny the claim. If the insurance company cannot show that the mod was at least partially responsible for the claim, they cannot deny the claim.

That's a pretty low bar though, and one would have to be pretty wary about things that would be very easy for them to make a statement that you couldn't refute. Wheel spacers would be an easy one for them, for example. An illegal, much bigger than permitted, non-engineered engine swap would be something that they would have to have seen a lot of times before and be well prepared with statements about how that could cause just about any incident.

I wouldn't ever bet against a motivated insurance company.

In my insurance agreement it states that my insurance can be void if I don't inform the insurer of any changes.

Not my insurance company, but.....

3. Modifying your car (without telling your insurer)

https://www.finder.com.au/car-insurance-exclusions

My suggestion is to read your agreement, in the end expect the insurance company to come at you pistols blazing.

If you advise your insurance company of a modification and that modification is not actually approved by the vehicle standards department, they can still crap on your claim. If you read these clauses in most (if not all) insurance documentation you will see weasel words hidden in there about how the mods have to actually be legal.

If I told my insurance company that I'd put a forward facing hornet scoop on my car, over the top of a tunnel rammed carb fed 600 cu.in V8, they'd say, "Thanks for the advice". It would not be any good if I had an accident where I scalped a pedestrian when the throttle cable jammed open in a carpark burnout and put the car into the crowd though. They would be well within their rights to point to the pedestrian maimer on the bonnet covering the non-emissions compliant, 3x too large engine and laugh at me.

21 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

If you advise your insurance company of a modification and that modification is not actually approved by the vehicle standards department, they can still crap on your claim. If you read these clauses in most (if not all) insurance documentation you will see weasel words hidden in there about how the mods have to actually be legal.

If I told my insurance company that I'd put a forward facing hornet scoop on my car, over the top of a tunnel rammed carb fed 600 cu.in V8, they'd say, "Thanks for the advice". It would not be any good if I had an accident where I scalped a pedestrian when the throttle cable jammed open in a carpark burnout and put the car into the crowd though. They would be well within their rights to point to the pedestrian maimer on the bonnet covering the non-emissions compliant, 3x too large engine and laugh at me.

Yeap, this is why I paid a kidney to insure my "engineered" shit box R33 Skyline with comprehensive, and ended up swapping to third party fire and theft.

I am currently working on getting my 86 engineered, doing so will be fine for my rego and green slip, BUT, the cost of comprehensive insurance for it will be as high as Amy Winehouse on a bender.

That's if I can find a insurer that will cover it.

Meh, third party fire & theft may be an cheaper option or third party property cover if all else fails.

The only way to be safe insurance wise it to get an engineering certificate for all modifications stating the car meets all required guidelines and declare every modification on your insurance agreement.

It's possible to be covered and not get rogered, but you need to follow the bouncing ball then stick your hand deep into your pocket.

Or, risk it for the biscuit......

Mmmmmmm, biscuits 

1163321574_images(6).jpeg.1b28a8004c6da63fa74f92a920d0d789.jpeg

1 hour ago, Adz2332 said:

or more budget friendly option lol

I thought it was way cool, till I looked at the price. Well, if you had a HR31 GTS-R that didn't have one, and it was mint, then yeah, I guess, maybe....

$5k, wow

I  got my car certified for all the mods. Yes it cost $600 but that's peanuts compared to the $$$ I poured in to the mods. In NZ all the mods that are allowable if certed are covered by regs so you make sure your car can be approved before you get an inspection. If in doubt or you don't have access to such regs talk to an inspector before you start to make sure its going to be able to be certed.

• Thanks 1