SAU Community

Bent valves??

To keep the story short, upon rushing to rebuild my engine and get it ready for shipping; I made the mistake of not checking the cam gear torque on the adjusters before I installed them out of the box.

At first I started the car just fine and it ran great. Moved the car to a different location. Then next time I started it, it ran like absolute shit.

I decided to pull of the timing to take a look and found that the adjustable cam gear had gone full advance as shown in the picture.

I returned the cam gear to neutral and its still making god awful sounds in the head.

Is the adjustment from the cam gear really enough degrees to bend a valve? I'm super confused because I don't feel like it would be but at the same time I'm not sure. 

Picture is of where adjusters slipped to full advance

fulladvance.jpeg

The obvious thing to do is set to zero and fire it up.

But I would have thought with the bolts loose the cams will retard themselves.  retarding an intake valve will pretty much never cause a problem.. But looking at the pic doesn't make sense. I've never run an engine with loose cam bolts so perhaps while running it out retarded then when shut down the engine turned backwards against compression stroke slightly and that's what you are seeing. In the interest of science turn the crank and see what happens

On 11/24/2019 at 11:31 AM, Ben C34 said:

The obvious thing to do is set to zero and fire it up.

But I would have thought with the bolts loose the cams will retard themselves.  retarding an intake valve will pretty much never cause a problem.. But looking at the pic doesn't make sense. I've never run an engine with loose cam bolts so perhaps while running it out retarded then when shut down the engine turned backwards against compression stroke slightly and that's what you are seeing. In the interest of science turn the crank and see what happens

I did set it to zero and fired it up and its still making bad noises unfortunately...

7 hours ago, tridentt150v said:

Cam gear or cam gears?  They both look adjustable, but we can't see the other one cos it has the CAS alloy bracket over it.  Did you check them both?

I checked the exhaust and it was still at zero on adjustment.