SAU Community

Inspection / starting Diagnosis help 1998 r34 not starting but complete

Hi, have been looking at buying an r34 and just falling short in terms of budget. one has come up that is local and very cheap. The only problem is that it is not starting. It has new coils and the battery was taken out to be charged. Power is going to everything besides starter. I have attached pics in case someone can suggest somethings to help it get started. I don't really know too much about cars. Hopefully it is an easy fix. Just trying to inform myself before going out to look at it tomorrow.

bb22.jpg

bb2.jpg

Edited by shadako2
pics

Are the injectors pulsing? Are they letting out fuel when they do?

Are the coils firing? Are the spark plugs sparking when they do?

If these are not, then either the fuel supply or the power supply to the injectors is down, or the same for the coils (minus the fuel flow).

If neither of these are working you are probably down an important sensor, like the CAS, or the AFM.

If these are all working then all your important sensors are probably good.

If you have all that shit working, then the next question might be, does it have compression.

This is the method for working out why it doesn't start. You also need to be able to touch the car. It's very hard from here.

Oh, hang on....earlier, you said "power is going to everything except starter". Does that mean it won't crank? Then look at my first reply, which includes rotation in the list of necessities. And now you have to work out why it won't crank. Basic automotive fault finding at its finest. Hop to it.

ok, I'm going to look at the car tomorrow. The thing with the battery happened to me before, the charger says charging but it gets drained or there is something internally wrong with the battery. Also realised that it's hard to diagnose, maybe the pics could be more to direct me where to look to tomorrow.

Edited by shadako2

If you go there and fix it and it starts won't they want more for it?

I would be more worried about the purple wipers.

In all seriousness buying a non runner is a bold move, especially if you aren't experienced and are going to rely on internet diagnosis to move forwards.

14 minutes ago, Ben C34 said:

If you go there and fix it and it starts won't they want more for it?

I would be more worried about the purple wipers.

In all seriousness buying a non runner is a bold move, especially if you aren't experienced and are going to rely on internet diagnosis to move forwards.

yeah that makes sense... had a similar situation with an s13 silvia in 2009. Whenever it went over certain bumps like rail tracks, the engine would shut off. It may have have had the wrong ignition leads that were not gripping the points enough. Swapped with $30 pair and the problem went away. Car was $3000 rego'd from memory, for a 1995 q's.

well, car seemed good, not too much fluid marks, eg around head gasket. Could hear the starter turning. I wanted to jump start with my car battery but the guy said his 12v jump starter would be the same, not too sure about that. The jumpstarter was fairly depleted as well. Also had subwoofer wiring coming off the positive terminal, so I am not sure if that has a drain if it is not connected to anything. The aircon and everything besides the sunroof worked.

Edited by shadako2