SAU Community

Tires for R32 GTR Stock Rims

SKYWKR

Hi All, 

Getting some new tires for my R32 GTR stock wheels. Will be only street use but want something pretty sticky and also good in the wet

Hoping for recommendations 

Cheers

Steve

Sticky and good in the wet, tricky combo.

You could try Bridgestone Potenza RE003 225/50 16, they are a compromise, OK in the dry, OK in the wet, but pretty cheap.

If you can sacrifice wet grip Hankook RS4 225/50 16 are great in the dry, but average in the wet, cheap tyre as well.

I did replace my RS4's with RE003, but I'm RWD and the Mrs and kids also drive the car, if it was just me I would still be running RS4's.

Just drive to the conditions and the RS4's would be my pick.

I wouldn't complain about RS4 grip in the wet. I think they stick fine in the wet, so long as they have some heat in them.

Same with any semi semi really.

My other vote is for AD08R. They are still the best street tyre I've had in the last quite a few years. The RS4s are going to last longer, and they're nearly as grippy. The only problem is the Yokos are usually a bit dear.

My recommendations to people are:

Cheap but competant: RE 003s 

Expensive but performance orientated: Advan AD08s.

I run RE003s on our family wagons (more than up to that task) and AD08Rs on my GTR and have been pleasantly surprised by their grip. In particular in the wet they hung on way past what I thought they would be capable of.

57 minutes ago, niZmO_Man said:

I wouldn't run RS4 or AD08 unless you're tracking the car. Take a step down to 'ultra high performance' tyres like RE050, S001, Advan Sport V105, Pilot Sport 4, Eagle F1, DZ102, FK453, and my favourite, Ventus K120.

I wouldn't call the RS4 or a AD08 a "track tyre" with a 200 tread wear ratings.

I would concider them an excellent choice for a R32 running 225, I would hazard to guess the car is not a daily, and driving around whilst it is raining would not be a big enough reason to justify sacrificing grip on the off chance you get caught out in the rain.

Performance tyre, yeap, most certainly, but there is no way in hell I would put any "all season" tyre on anything other than the Mrs car, or a taxi.

Hell, I hate having RE003's on my 86, the drop in grip from the old RS4's to them was quite, um......alot, but the RE003 are better in the wet, and with the Mrs and kids driving the car I wanted a bit more fudge factor.

In saying this I was quite happy driving the car in the rain/storms/winter on the RS4, they were great on the 33, MX5 and 86.

They were OK on the track for a lap or 4 in the 1540kg 33, but anymore and they tended to get slidey, they did last longer on the MX5 though, but that only weighed about 1000kg, and only had about 5hp.

But, yeah, meh, opinions and stuff, plus my driving style could be better, and the setup on the 33 could have been better.

I really need another set of rims to put some RS4's on.

I can see it now.

Mrs: can I take your car

Me: sure, you just need to swap the rims honey

Mrs: what????

Me: I'm swapping them now honey

Kids: hahahalolololhaha, sucker......

Me: sigh

Based on my experience with my RS-3, I'd recommend RS-4 easily unless you're after wet weather grip more than dry. I'm eyeing RS-4s next year after clutch change.

The RS-3 were excellent in the wet for the tread pattern, surprised me with the amount of water it can displace. Oh and my friend who daily'd an MY05 STi changed to AD08R and said they were great in the wet, better than OEM RE760 or whatever, but don't last long for obvious reasons.

So it really depends on the OP's needs. How much driving (km's), how much of that in wet (not that much IMO).

The best "street" tyre (UHP) I've driven on were RE050, Advan V105 and FK452.

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the advice to all. 

Going to go with the AD08Rs. Currently onsale - buy 3 get a 4th free so figured I couldn't pass that up :)

Cheers

Steve 

• 4 months later...

Anyone running bigger than a 225 on stock 32 GTR wheel?

Was hoping to run the Nitto NT01 245 but can't find any stock anywhere in the country nowadays...

Anyone got any other suggestions/recommendations? Don't want to run MT's either...

A 235 would be a good size if there was an appropriate profile to give the right diameter, but there really isn't. If you're willing to put up with a change in diameter, you could do that. 245 is a little too wide for an 8" rim. Somewhat baggy, especially on a 16, where you end with a lot of sidewall height bagging out.

• Like 1