SAU Community

Do aftermarket break pads and fuel injectors require engineering?

I read through NCOP to see if these mods required engineering but couldn't find anything, but let me apologies in advance if it is there and I am just blind. After failing to find anything in NCOP I tried google but still failed to find. I know fuel pumps and fuel lines don't need it but have no clue about break pads and fuel injectors.

Brake pads, no. Plenty of brake mods do require engineering however if all you are doing is swapping the factory pads with an aftermarket equivalent (same size, similar compound, similar performance etc), then no it doesn't need engineering. 

Fuel injectors, yes for a few reasons. Changes to the injectors with a non-standard item (either larger or smaller injectors) will have an impact on the vehicles emissions. Also, to run larger injectors you'll need an aftermarket ECU which will need to be engineered. 

This is all based on NSW, I'm not sure where you are and it might vary. 

Source: Vehicle standards information PUBLISHED 8 NOVEMBER 2013 | REV. 3 Supersedes VSI No. 6 | Rev. 2.1 | 1 November 2007 6 Light vehicle modifications

Modification to engines and/or exhausts that impacts* the emissions levels applicable to those ADRs specified for the vehicle. * ’impacts’ means an increase in emissions levels specified in the ADRs. Examples requiring certification:
• Fitting non-original valve train components.
• Fitting non-original or non equivalent carburettors or fuel injection equipment.
• Removal of bypass or emission control equipment including exhaust gas recirculation (EGR), positive crankcase ventilation (PCV), catalytic convertors, engine management sensors.
• Fitting non-original or non-equivalent air intake manifolds.
• Replacing original engine control unit.

****And typical spiel about this not being advice, speak to an Engineer etc.****

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Murray_Calavera said:

Brake pads, no. Plenty of brake mods do require engineering however if all you are doing is swapping the factory pads with an aftermarket equivalent (same size, similar compound, similar performance etc), then no it doesn't need engineering. 

Fuel injectors, yes for a few reasons. Changes to the injectors with a non-standard item (either larger or smaller injectors) will have an impact on the vehicles emissions. Also, to run larger injectors you'll need an aftermarket ECU which will need to be engineered. 

This is all based on NSW, I'm not sure where you are and it might vary. 

Source: Vehicle standards information PUBLISHED 8 NOVEMBER 2013 | REV. 3 Supersedes VSI No. 6 | Rev. 2.1 | 1 November 2007 6 Light vehicle modifications

Modification to engines and/or exhausts that impacts* the emissions levels applicable to those ADRs specified for the vehicle. * ’impacts’ means an increase in emissions levels specified in the ADRs. Examples requiring certification:
• Fitting non-original valve train components.
• Fitting non-original or non equivalent carburettors or fuel injection equipment.
• Removal of bypass or emission control equipment including exhaust gas recirculation (EGR), positive crankcase ventilation (PCV), catalytic convertors, engine management sensors.
• Fitting non-original or non-equivalent air intake manifolds.
• Replacing original engine control unit.

****And typical spiel about this not being advice, speak to an Engineer etc.****

thank you.