SAU Community

Gearbox selection.

Hey everyone. 

Just after opinions. 

Im building a 25DET to put into my 34.  Now I know a 25 big box would be the obvious choice but just wondering if a 20det box would be sufficient. I’m not a drifter or someone that’s going to be ripping rubber every time I go to the dairy so just curious if a 20det would cope. Also ive looked into the D22 navara boxes. Apparently they are the same internally ie ratios etc. has anyone heard of these being used and what alterations would be needed to bolt up. 

Cheers in advance 

51 minutes ago, Hazzid69 said:

but just wondering if a 20det box would be sufficient

No. Can't take the torque of even a slightly boosted 25. Will suffer input bearing failure after a while.

52 minutes ago, Hazzid69 said:

Also ive looked into the D22 navara boxes

Have VG bellhousing, so you need an RB bellhousing (the whole front half of the case) to make a hybrid. This is only a successful endeavour if you don't have to go out and get all the things, otherwise you might as well just get a 25 box.

If you're starting from scratch and want to make it hella strong and are not afraid to spend money and time, then a T56 or Tremec or similar box could be worth investigating.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a small box on  rb25det with 14.5 psi, its been 5 months since my build has been running (replaced pilot bearing while engine was out) and i do alot of street hooning and parking lot drifting literally every single weekend.... so far so good. fingers crossed everything stays smooth.