• Welcome to SAU Community

Welcome to SAU Community, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SAU Community by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
    • Get your own profile page, build reputation and make new friends
    • Send personal messages to other members.
    • See fewer ads!

Consider joining our newsletter for the latest content updates

Click here to register

mycarhasposessedme

Diy 370GT RHD Twin Turbo Build

Finally Gotten around to starting my Diy RHD Twin Turbo Build.

Posting it all up to my Youtube Channel as i'm **** at typing stuff out

I've already done 2 fuel system mod vids, but this is the first proper start of the Twin Turbo Build.

Hope some of you guys find it interesting.

• Like 2

Thats sick dude. Me and the rest of VQ Aus are following this.

Might have to do mine next :P

Way to go Trevor, looks like fun. Enjoyed the DIY milling you did.  How do you plan to route the turbo plumbing re the trans ? Also who will beef up the trans? (I assume 7AT)

Cheers

Pete

Edited by mybrains

G'day Mate, plumbing isn't an issue with the trans, all good.

Trans is 5at RE5R05A.

I did the valve body myself a couple of years ago, I have a Fast Intentions Billet Flex Plate & will do the converter while its out for this part of the build.

The whole trans will get a rebuild & beef up as soon as I can afford it too. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Probably have a crack at it myself.

Cheers.

I read somewhere the 5AT holds together better than the 7AT. I know of a few co-s in USA that can rebuild these trans tougher but not heard of anybody local? maybe ship in a kit ..... (for us less skilled than you :)

Also re motor CR being 11:1 and adding boost on top of this -  do you plan to rebuild the motor (pistons, rings, rods+rebore) or keep stock and maybe decompress somewhat with thick/multiple head gaskets ?  No idea if a head height increase would foul the intakes being a V design.... E85 (105-107 ron) is a choice to help out but being 30% less efficient the driving range would have to be impacted (and any rubber in the fuel line, maps etc). I did read that a few United servos have P100 (98 Octane + 10% ethanol). This seems a better high CR fuel to keep teh range up though not as high RON.

Yeah i was reading the 7AT is fragile compared to the 5AT.
Stock 5AT's can handle around 500whp fine as is. Depends how much power this brings out.

Motor unopened will also run 450hp-500hp Safely. e85 around 11psi is fine for that power.

We have a 370z in our car club running 450rwhp @6psi on 98. Never once had a mechanical issue.

This looks promising. Those flanges are way too nice!

The days of thick head gaskets and low compression for turbo are long gone.

Looks sweet mate, epic skills, I take my hat off to you

Should do mad skids

Cheers Guys, yep stock motor, as stated above no real reason to be dropping compression, doing a rebuild etc.

Sure if you were looking to build a monster & had plenty of $$$$'s to throw at it, by all means.

For Street Duty its quite capable as is with some low boost.

There are many other limitations for how far i go with true street driven vehicles too, no 1 being Driver Skill.

Should be plenty for an old fart like me.

Was hoping to get quite a bit more done on it this week, but unfortunately the wife had a fall on Sunday putting up Christmas decorations of all things & Fractured her Spine. So needless to say I've been in out of the Hospital all week.

I'll be loading up a couple of videos on some other stuff i'd already finished (not car related) to my youtube channel tomorrow, so don't be disappointed when other stuff shows up if you have subscribed to me.

The Turbo Build will be continuing, just a badly timed hiccup.

Apologies Guys,

Cheers,

Trev.

• Like 1

Hope she gets better soon and thanks for sharing the vids, very interesting!