SAU Community

timing chain tensioner wont install

silviaz

2 minutes ago, silviaz said:

Wait what? Are you sure? I heard no noise and I checked with an endoscope the pistons look the same.

You won't hear a noise and in the case of a mis-timed engine turning over the contact is not normally large enough to leave a large mark or damage, but is enough to bend valves

How do you explain the extra resistance when turning over at some points? With plugs out it is the same to spin an engine over, no Change in resistance

Just now, Ben C34 said:

You won't hear a noise and in the case of a mis-timed engine turning over the contact is not normally large enough to leave a large mark or damage, but is enough to bend valves

How do you explain the extra resistance when turning over at some points? With plugs out it is the same to spin an engine over, no Change in resistance

ah fml, so to confirm this should I get an mirror for my endoscope to check if the valves are bent?

9 minutes ago, Rusty Nuts said:

No, thats a compression tester, you will need an air compressor but a small one will work fine

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/toolpro-toolpro-cylinder-leak-down-tester/392419.html

Ok ill put my engine to tdc on the silver links and do it. I assume thats the correct procedure.

Edited by silviaz

19 minutes ago, Rusty Nuts said:

you need to do all cylinders at TDC  your firing order is 1 3 4 2 so rotate one full turn after no.1 then do 3 and so on. check out some youtube vids if you haven't done one before.

I see thanks will go from there.

17 hours ago, Ben C34 said:

I would do a leak down test, or just put compressed air in and listen if it is leaking out the valves, no mirrors.

Hey man so I've set up everything and I am not touching anything anymore until a mechanic comes I'll get them to do the leakdown test since they will probably have the tool will save me some money. I also called a couple of mechanics and they said about the resistance it can happen cause pressure builds up or like you said because valve touching piston. In this vid on the first time I try to crank it, it's very tight then it's ok then it's right towards the end. This is what you're referring to right?

35 minutes ago, Ben C34 said:

If the spark plugs are out there is  no resistance to build up. It definetily seems from here you have likely bent valves. Hope not but that would be a long shot

dammit.  Maybe jobs like these in the future leave for someone more qualified. I would have thought following the manual would of been enough lol.

On 12/11/2019 at 8:32 PM, Rusty Nuts said:

You have been struggling with fix since early November, you probably need to get someone knowledgeable in front of this engine to help you.

Four days ago I suggested you get some help, but you were not having that!!!!!

3 hours ago, Rusty Nuts said:

Four days ago I suggested you get some help, but you were not having that!!!!!

I did I called a mechanic, and he said it was ok to crank the engine so I did. Just leaving the rest now for the mechanic. They are just busy as hell will be waiting a bit until I get my hands on one.

I also read back when you wrote about how I didn't have the marks lined up when I started I see what you mean now. I referred back to the manual and while it did say rotate to tdc I didn't realize the links were supposed to be there as well.

Edited by silviaz

On 12/14/2019 at 10:42 PM, Rusty Nuts said:

you need to do all cylinders at TDC  your firing order is 1 3 4 2 so rotate one full turn after no.1 then do 3 and so on. check out some youtube vids if you haven't done one before.

Great news!! Got the mechanic he didn't have to take the timing cover off,  and did the compression test had 190-210 across all cylinders. Which seems quite high service manual says 156. But cranked it didn't have any usual noises. Tomorrow will be the test to see if it turns on fine.

• Like 1