SAU Community

WTB - Transfer Case Steel Ring / Friction End Plate

The Mafia

Hi Everyone

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I need the end plate in the transfer case. Circled in the picture.

These steel plates come in various sizes to set the clearance. I need it to be 6.7mm / 6.8mm thick. 

Can anyone help? I will pay up front and need it to be posted fairly quickly. 

Thanks

image.thumb.png.e9ea8578955792b84636695c8d9eb5f7.png

You will not get this quickly. These are special order part from Japan, we've done heaps of transfers and wait time is at least 8 weeks generally as they are made up from Nissan. Also needing to go to 6.8mm on the front retaining plate (31537XA) suggests that the rest of your friction and / or steel plates are excessively worn, as we've never needed to go past 5.2mm - 6.2mm, and that's using the standard 7 friction plate or modified 10 friction plate arrangement. These plates go up in 0.2mm increments from 4.8mm - 7.0mm, so a 6.8mm is definitely not the norm.

The rear retaining plate should always be set to 5.0mm (31537X). Are you checking clearance correct as in, you have the Attessa actuator with piston installed in the back ? If not it gives an inaccurate and much larger clearance, which should be between 8 - 20 thou (0.2mm - 0.5mm) between front retaining plate and retaining circlip.

I have some front retainers from 5.8mm - 6.2mm and lots of the steel plates, but if you definitely need the 6.8mm retaining plate the original part number is 31537-05U10 which has now been superceded with 31537-1P410 and is about $90 -$110.

For any other thickness the part number changes with the last two digits from 00 to 11, so a 4.8mm is 31537-1P400, a 6.0mm is 31537-1P406 and a 7.0mm is 31537-1P411.

Hope this helps.

Hi BK! 

Thank you very very much for this long and informative post. I am going to double check with my mate that is rebuilding the transfer case and see if there is something wrong. I am building it with the new arrangement (most aggressive, s/f/s/f/s/f/s/f/s)

I already have a 5.0mm and 6.2mm retainer, but he thinks he needs 6.7mm. 

I have purchased brand new friction plates, but have reused the steel plates. Maybe that is the cause of the large clearance - re-using the steel plates? 

What are the steel plates meant to be thickness wise? 

Thanks again mate, I really appreciate this input. 

OK so you're doing the 10 plate mod. Can't remember the steels off the top of my head but they usually don't wear bugger all (less than 0.05mm), UNLESS the wrong oil or low oil has been in there. Castrol Transmax Z is the best, I'll measure one later to confirm steel thicknesses, but very rarely need to replace the steels. As above the clearance is 0.2mm - 0.5mm, and they only come in 0.2mm increments so there is no 6.7mm.

Buying new plates has generally decreased the clearance required, so it shouldn't be that.

As mentioned above, very important - make sure the clearance is being measured with the Attesa actuator installed with piston in. This is a must or else your clearance will be wrong (on the large side).

Yeah that is it I am pretty sure. (I am just a dumb tuner, I'm not doing this, my friend who is a mechanic is lol )

This is a donor case so I have no idea how it was treated before I got it. It's from a R33 GTR so it is possible someone stupid was pulling the fuse and doing skids not knowing these have preload. 

I have only used Transmax Z in both of my GTRs transfer cases so glad to hear that. 

This one we are building is for a circuit car hence the 10 plate mod. 

He has also assured me that he is measuring it with the Attesa actuator installed with the piston in. 

Just curious, when you say "piston in" does that just mean the actuator bolted onto the back with no hydraulic pressure? (at rest if that makes sense) 

Image result for attesa actuator

26 minutes ago, The Mafia said:

Yeah that is it I am pretty sure. (I am just a dumb tuner, I'm not doing this, my friend who is a mechanic is lol )

This is a donor case so I have no idea how it was treated before I got it. It's from a R33 GTR so it is possible someone stupid was pulling the fuse and doing skids not knowing these have preload. 

I have only used Transmax Z in both of my GTRs transfer cases so glad to hear that. 

This one we are building is for a circuit car hence the 10 plate mod. 

He has also assured me that he is measuring it with the Attesa actuator installed with the piston in. 

Just curious, when you say "piston in" does that just mean the actuator bolted onto the back with no hydraulic pressure? (at rest if that makes sense) 

Image result for attesa actuator

Yes, the actuator bolted on the back of the transfer with the piston rod for it also installed with no hydraulic pressure on it. This is the real disengaged state. It does make a difference to the clearance, and the Nissan manual also mentions to check it like this. If you don't do this and measure it, reset to the 0.2mm - 0.5mm clearance with the actuator not installed, then bolt the actuator up the transfer case will be permanently locked to some degree, drag the plates and destroy them.

I just asked him and he said that is exactly how he has done it.

I guess now all I need to do is measure the thickness of my steel plates and see how much they are worn.

If you have some there and can give me a measurement that would be great :) 

4 minutes ago, BK said:

I'll look into it. More importantly, what is the measured clearance now ?

He says it is 0.9mm at the moment. 

I'm starting to think my steel plates are all worn that slightest amount. All the friction plates are brand new.