SAU Community

R33 Power window issue - troubleshooting

bazr33

Hey guys,

Haven't posted in a while and bit disappointed that it isn't on better terms but don't believe it is a major problem.

Just wanted to query whether anyone has had similar issue to what i am experiencing with my power windows.

Currently, Drivers side window works perfectly, no issues, goes up and down all day, however the passenger side - i had intermittent issues with window not wanting to go back up.

Window will go down fine, but will not go back up.  There were a couple of days where it would then wouldn't go back up.

Things i have tested and done:

• Changed plug from harness that connects to regulator as it was a bit corroded looking - no change
  • tried another regulator, which had been tested with direct power - works perfectly - fitted it and no change
  • Also then put direct power to regulator i had pulled out initially and it is fine.
  • Both switches from driver side and passenger side will operate passenger window to go down, but not back up.
  • Fuse is obviously okay, as nothing would work if it was blown.

My query is and next thing i am going to check is the window relay (black box in drivers door):

Can this be a possible cause of window going down but not back up and have not affected drivers window? 

Any help is much appreciated.   i just guess it would give me a bit of reassurance if someone has been in exactly the same boat and confirmed the relay was stuffed.

Isn't it far more likely that the up contact on the switch is faulty? Dirty/burnt/broken off/etc?

The left-right switches are connected. Look at the wiring diagram to see how. I think if one is dead, it can take down both.

Edited by GTSBoy

I would of thought the likelihood of both drivers and passenger side switches that operate the passenger window to go up, to be faulty/dirty/burnt/broken to be slim.   but not to say that it has happened. 

Plus the other thing that didnt make sense, is the switch on the passenger door, i had put multimeter on the plug to see that 12volts was getting to the regulator and both going up and down did register 12 volts. 

Might see if i can locate new switches anyway.

But i guess.  could there still be possibility of the relay causing a similar issue?

Yes, the relay could have a fault. But I didn't say both switches would be dead. It only takes one dead to kill it. Usually the one that gets the most use, but could be either.

And I wasn't recommending new switches. Take them apart and see what condition they're in.

Edited by GTSBoy

So contacts on switches - if going up on one is stuffed then both switches wont operate the window to go up?

Sorry my electrical expertise is not the greatest.

I have spare switches at my old mans place, so can try them and see what happens.  Will have a squiz at the switches too and see condition.

also got spare relay too.  so will try those two things and see what happens.

3 hours ago, bazr33 said:

So contacts on switches - if going up on one is stuffed then both switches wont operate the window to go up?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the way they are wired is not as simple as you might imagine, and it leads to one dead all dead, like old xmas tree lights.

• 3 weeks later...

I spent the past 4 years chasing the same issue on a s14.

I completely pulled the switch apart a good 5 times and cleaned the contacts. The switch tested fine every time. Everything tested fine. Just ended up jumping the passenger switch closed at the plug and used the drivers side switch. 

It was one of the little contact arms that gets pressed down when the switch is worked wasn't bending enough when voltage is applied.