SAU Community

a valid motor upgrade path for V series?

Just wondering every bodies thoughts here. A lot of talk in the USA re the go is forced induction on V36 (7-9K USD) but here in OZ its too dear to import a kit and if you do, you can quickly run fowl of the law and get a defect notice as the V36 didn't come stock with turbos. Ideally an engine swap may be a better approach as you can re engineer to be safe (brakes, driveline) and obtain compliance & fuel emissions. The new motor needs to be the same year model (or later) as the donor car or else hassles with fuel emissions (so no old RBs please).

I can see a few options but lets discuss if you have seen these fitted (locally or OS), how hard, costs and see if we can find a sub 20K winner?

Option 1 - QX80 motor VK56VD Also found in nissan patrol. 5.6L V8. V8. Used in Supercars Championship in 2013 by Kelly Racing in Melbourne. QX80 sits on same FM chassis as the V36 sedan so i assume a direct swap in. Stock trim @400 hp (298 kW) and 413 lb·ft (560 N·m) of torque. has uprated 7AT to cope with torque compared to V36 7AT. So just how much power can be got from this quad cam V8 ? The V8 supercars got 650 hp (485 kW) 657 N⋅m; 485 lbf⋅ft.  A flat plane version in japan gave 800ps. 

Thoughts - GOOD: cheap, local stocks, common, easy to get serviced by nissan locally (QX80, patrol), comes with beefy trans. ECU and car electronics should be interchangeable with V36 sedan IMOP.  BAD - nose heavy, gas guzzler. may not clear bonnet or sump too low (maybe not as i read its basically an VQ37 with two extra cylinders)   

Option 2 - R35 GTR 3.8TT motor - VR38DETT V6 I dont think we need to spend too much time talking the virtues of this block ! Power ranges from 357 kW (485 PS; 479 hp) to 419 kW (570 PS).

Thoughts - GOOD: Block can be built to handle impressive power (some claim 2500HP). BAD - not cheap !. It would be very similar to 3.7 block, the GTR block was designed for AWD so not sure how to mate to existing trans selections? I think this is just a 'too hard' option.

Option 3 - Q50/60 motor VR30DDTT  I read this motor is the baby GTR motor and that got my attention. Its slightly different from VQ in that it uses direct injection and has compact turbos integrated into the manifold I read. Comes as  300 and 400 hp (224 and 298 kW) and has uprated 7AT to handle power 

Thoughts - GOOD: This block and trans may actually be affordable. I found one on ebay and no doubt a JDM importer can get a front cut with one from japan. Fit straight in place of VQ37VHR and should match weight so no imbalance. Smaller displacement means slightly better fuel economy off boost. BAD - its a new motor so not much known about it. Tuners are just now getting 500-600HP out of it in USA. Also ECU and electronics wont be compatible with V36 versions so some serious electronics work is gonna be needed to make it work. I could even see both ECUs ending up in the car wired to various but different systems like radio/gps, radar cruise, speedo etc (V36 + Q50 ECU) 

https://engineswapdepot.com/?p=29183

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NISSAN-INFINITI-3-0-TWIN-TURBO-ENGINE-SWAP-VR30DDTT-RWD-/254174755520

over to you to pick it to pieces - be gentle, im fragile - lol :)

None of those make sense. The only option that makes sense is LS1/2/3. Whatever the largest is that will go in under NCOP. Simply obscene amounts of power made easily and cheaply. Much more compact and light than any of those massive Jap engines.

Oh, and manual. Man's engine means man's gearbox. None of that auto weenie transmission stuff.

9 hours ago, mybrains said:

The new motor needs to be the same year model (or later) as the donor car or else hassles with fuel emissions (so no old RBs please).

This actually isn't true (having just legally done a LS swap into a skyline). It's just that the IM240 emissions regulations are based on the year of the car. That's the target you have to hit.

This generally means that if you use a newer engine, its far more likely to meet newer emissions regulations, which get more stringent over time. (also the R33 is 1/4 the limit of the 'hard to hit' variable that the R34). So put an LS into a R33 lol.

In regards to what this thread is about, LS is always the answer. It is a hard enough swap unless you are an electrical god damned genius to attempt any of the things that would go into a V36. I would say its probably simpler to go turbos, or the even more boring answer, is find a better platform because the V36 does what a V36 will do as well as a V36 ever will. There's also probably* kits out there to put LS's into the USA versions of the V36. They may or may not be suitable.

Note: You could probably pass the emissions IM240 with turbos if you wanted. This is a NSW/VIC regulation but every other state is more lenient than that. I'd still advise against it because you're stressing a motor out, when there's other options that do not have that issue.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2019 at 7:08 AM, Kinkstaah said:

This actually isn't true (having just legally done a LS swap into a skyline). It's just that the IM240 emissions regulations are based on the year of the car. That's the target you have to hit.

This generally means that if you use a newer engine, its far more likely to meet newer emissions regulations, which get more stringent over time. (also the R33 is 1/4 the limit of the 'hard to hit' variable that the R34). So put an LS into a R33 lol.

In regards to what this thread is about, LS is always the answer. It is a hard enough swap unless you are an electrical god damned genius to attempt any of the things that would go into a V36. I would say its probably simpler to go turbos, or the even more boring answer, is find a better platform because the V36 does what a V36 will do as well as a V36 ever will. There's also probably* kits out there to put LS's into the USA versions of the V36. They may or may not be suitable.

Note: You could probably pass the emissions IM240 with turbos if you wanted. This is a NSW/VIC regulation but every other state is more lenient than that. I'd still advise against it because you're stressing a motor out, when there's other options that do not have that issue.

Oh, I listed motors that have been fitted top the FM platform so stand a good chance of bolt up (engine mounts, gearbox). LS1 sounds like serious surgery. Agree with ECU that its getting way harder thesedays