SAU Community

R34 Brake Upgrade advice

So i have been looking at brake upgrades for my 1998 N/A r34 GT chassis and i am blown away by the prices for the brembo r34 GTR kit. close to 3000 USD.

My question is.... is there other more affordable brands and options available that people can share their experience with? 

I was told that all the S and R chassis are all interchangeable in exception for the 14 and 12mm mounting bolts.  

I am relatively new to the car scene and its my very first time shopping for brakes.

My budget would be anything under 2000 USD. 

Can anyone let me know what they would recommend? I dont want anything used!

Thanks

You want these, or equivalent

https://justjap.com/catalog/product/view/id/20578/s/attkd-brake-kit-nissan-skyline-r34-99-02/category/2868/

Everything is new including brake lines, pads, discs, and they are well made and well tested

Just contact them first to confirm they will fit NA R34 (I expect they will), and what the minimum size wheels are.

I run these on my Cima and Stagea, and have used them on my race car (with different pads), have found them reliable and good value.

• Like 1

High performance brakes are not cheap so what kind of brakes do you need? Are you going to be track racing your car? If not the best upgrade for your car is a set of GTT brakes together with new brake fluid upgraded brake lines and better pads.

If you are set on brand new stuff (and can't get Nissan parts new) then there is the D2 series of brakes. They are AP knock offs and are sold under a few other names as well. I have used them on the track (with Pagid pads) and others  (such as Duncan who has just replied above) have used them for racing.

• Like 1

Its not a track car but its a fully forged and built rb25neo with a garret gtx3071r around 14 psi street car that i also drift on the weekends with and the breaks are very old and desperately needs replacing. Thanks for the advice thus far 

1998 r34 gt N/A 

Cp neo pistons 9.5/1

Manley hbeam rods

acl bearings

arp head bolts, flywheel bolts, clutch cover

n1 oil pump

new oem water pump

splitfire coils

freddygreddy intake

spec stage 3 6puck clutch

walbro 255 fuel pump

detchwerks 370cc oe replacment injectors

cx racing 32 inch intercooler

factory gtt ecu

det OEM manifold with welded on 38mm precision turbo wastgate

duall ball bearing gtx3071r

freddy greddy blow off valve 

Ching Chong non return catch can

gtt to gtr body kit from Showoff imports

oem valve train 

and it comes from factory with the rb20det (small box) 5 speed trans 

Started life as de Block with de head so its a plus T and i also die grinded intake ports to the det size. 

Still unfortunatly de NA breaks 

Yo johnny whats up bro, yeah i read it and its very well writen how ever i was looking for somthing brand spanking new... also i have a one question.

I confirmed with another de+t brethren that we do have 14mm bolts on our n/a 34’s but i was wondering In that case if i can buy a BBK for a 350z and if it will just bolt on directly smooth no problems? 

Also.... say if i buy a bbk for a s15, s14, or r32 r33 and it comes with the 12mm hole, i would have to drill out the caliper to match the 14mm hole on the spindel? Right? And thats it... no trouble? 

@Ben C34 @Dose Pipe Sutututu @Duncan @KiwiRS4T

Edited by Dil-Dog

The easiest way to deal with 12mm bolts in a 14mm hole is a 14mm outer diameter , 1mm thick spacer tube.  I don't think you are talking about 14mm bolts in a 12mm hole, but if you are, yes you can just drill out the hub, but if you need to drill out the caliper you would also have to tap it to M14 and the right thread pitch which is a big tap.

Or, buy a kit that fits like I suggested above, or at least go r34 gtt brakes which will be the right size (but this option can add up between second hand calipers, new discs, new pads, and either keep old brake lines or buy new ones)

• Thanks 1

@NZ-GTT @Duncan @Dose Pipe Sutututu @Ben C34 @KiwiRS4T 

Hey guys, so i have not pulled the trigger on an aftermarket brand as yet... but i am getting an Quote from the local Nissan Dealership for the complete Front and Rear caliper, discs, and pads set for a r34 GTT. lets see what they say.

So i was thinking right... with all this talk about matching and compatibility between the S and R chassis.... were we talking about front and back all along or just the fronts? my question is if the rears are same and interchangeable as well? if no, would i can use only specific R34 rears or other skyline rears?

Rears are interchangeable as well, however I can't recall if the GT non-t uses a drum handbrake as well, if not you'll need a GT-t backing plate, the drum handbrake setup & maybe the handbrake cables (similar to how you would convert a S13~S15 to a Skyline setup).

Personally I would just buy used calipers and rebuild them, instead of going to Nissan and letting them rip you a new arsehole.

So far as I know all RBs have a drum handbrake and they are all the same. You may need to trim the backing plate for the bigger rotor.. And as above...used calipers  with new seals is as good as new.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.ebay.com.au/b/Akebono-Car-and-Truck-Caliper-Parts/33563/bn_7014999565&ved=2ahUKEwjc9ez7os_mAhUFxzgGHftOCP4QFjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw0jF8K5OJ5rww0Yig_YEipL

Or if you want reconditioned ones, can get them from wreckers local etc as well

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/brake-calipers/make/nissan/model/370z

I have a set of the rear powerstop ones, you can buy them from a few places.

Rotors are off the shelf and a common part, unsure on how you would fit them to an r34 but the handbrake size is the same

I wouldn't buy new gtt calipers from nissan they will be expensive, get a second hand  set and throw a seal kit from someone like tarks and give them a paint 

Alternatively 

https://www.mrpltd.co.nz/product/skyline-r32-33-34-big-brake-kit-355mm/

https://www.mrpltd.co.nz/product/skyline-r32-33-34-big-brake-kit-324mm/

Edited by shrike

• 4 years later...
On 12/14/2019 at 1:15 PM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Hence I've mentioned before get 350Z Brembo Calipers and run 350Z discs.

More than enough to stop your street/light track car with decent pads.

Hi Dose Pipe Sutututu - am in the middle of installing a 350z brembo kit on our R34 GT. The fronts are easy - just grind the lip off the dust cap and they fit. The rear - I have grinded the dust cap, but am not sure about the next step. The Brembo's holes are around 5mm wider (centre to centre) - and the NA bolt holes are too small.   i have seen JDM garage selling a wholes set with rear brackets - but I have not seen other brackets on their own. GKTech has rear weld on brackets for S chassis + R32 + R33 - are those the ones I need / and do really have to find a welder? :) Pete

Fronts look good though:

From this (Drivers side)

image.thumb.jpeg.3de8f2c4ad469e802f55fbb32b5976f5.jpeg

To this (Passenger side):

image.thumb.jpeg.fccca3ee3367e2b3578caaa1a9448ee4.jpeg