SAU Community

RB25DET Series 1 & Series 2 Gearbox Identification

Ratsun

Hi all,

apologies if this has already been covered previously (i have searched but could not find a definitive answer), how do identify if i have either a series 1 or series 2 RB25DET manual transmission without knowing the donor vehicles VIN?

Thanks in advance

You can't know unless you're familiar with the transmissions once disassembled. Coming from GTR boxes (which are the same as R33 Gts turbos Gearset and synchro wise), the only difference will come with the synchros, shift fork and gear with 3rd like 97+ stuff which translates to any FS5R30A transmission. Not sure which years are series 1 and 2 you're referring to in R33 gts,t. In GTR, 89 - 96 is same, 97 -98 upgraded (R33 GTR series 3), but not much of an upgrade really like people make out but are not interchangeable. Old mate Hardsteppa just went through this on a non GTR on this page.

@hardsteppa thanks heaps

It appears that I have the following options, any advice would be a appreciated

a) rebuild the series 1

b) source a series 2

c) transplant the internals from GTR

The box is being mated to a mildly worked RB26 and then shoe-horned into a 240z street/track car, so its going to get a bit of a hard life and therefore needs to be somewhat reliable.

I bought a brand new r34gtt box for 3k at the end of last year when there was heaps of stock. Price rose a bit in the next few months. I have been told recently they are now made to order and it's around a 3 month wait.