SAU Community

Bent Chassis Rails - Jacking issue ?

8 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

Is that really relevant? That blog post is about the outer sills, not the rails closer to the trans tunnel. I think the R33 and R34 rails get equally damaged as R32 because people do the same stupid shit, picking them up with forklifts, putting jacks and jack stands under the rails (when they REALLY shouldn't), bashing them into speed bumps and driveway exits, etc etc.

You were recommending jacking up from the sills, which really is no better from the rails for a R32 because of the gap left by Nissan from factory.  R33/R34 sills would be damaged if one does something stupid, normal usage would be fine, which is not the case for R32.  Even normal usage with scissor jack as you recommended would still crush it.  Every R32 sills are in worse shape than the rails, so unless the gap is rectified, don't touch either sills or rails and just jack from the center subframe, preferably with a block of wood as well.

My R32 has perfect sills. Scissor jack used correctly will not damage the sills. Even with a gap.

I wouldn't use a trolley jack on the sills without a correctly fitting adapter, and pump it up slowly. But that's just common sense regardless of whether there are real or perceived problems with the structure.

Really ? Most of the 32 rail sections are showing as discontinued on Amayama. I bet all of them are actually discontinued and the site has not been updated, as it's only updated if someone tries to order something and then an availability status is confirmed.

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on how damaged they are. My bro-in-law has a performance workshop where they have done many minor repairs, pulling out some dents and reshaping a bit. But if they are pounded, then you will need a decent chassis/crash repair place.

I can point you to either, in the northern 'burbs. My favourite crash repairer has actually recently been doing exactly this to an R32 GTR that had been treated really badly.

2 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

Depends on how damaged they are. My bro-in-law has a performance workshop where they have done many minor repairs, pulling out some dents and reshaping a bit. But if they are pounded, then you will need a decent chassis/crash repair place.

I can point you to either, in the northern 'burbs. My favourite crash repairer has actually recently been doing exactly this to an R32 GTR that had been treated really badly.

It seems quite bend and pushed inside all though the rail. not broken. someone quoted me 1K for it. how-much should it cost worse case scenario ?

I have no idea how much it should cost. $1k does not sound out of the realms of reasonable. I just spent $750 getting the front bumper repainted.

I have seen how much of a pain in the arse it is to straighten rails. I had to pull a few dents out of mine so it would go through Regency after the engine conversions. We made special tooling to go onto a slide hammer to reach up into the rails through the little drain holes and beat/pull the dents out from the inside. Also spot welded on hooks to use the slide hammer to pull where we couldn't make access to the inside. Then spend a lot of time tidying up and making it look "straight, but not brand new". The Regency guys will not fall for brand new paint over bog. They know a shitty job when they see one.

I would not be surprised if it cost at least $1k, possibly double that, to pay a shop to unf**k a completely f**ked car.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Guys I know about the normal scissor points but where exactly can I put a trolley? I believe under the gearbox somebody told me once?

Ive read some stuff about those points and tried to figure out but its not easy to get a clear sentence. 
Id really appreciate if you could just show me a pic from a R33 with marked lifting points ❤️ Please.

If you are trying to lift the front, the best jack point is the cross member between oil pan and gearbox. It's even marked with an X for you. I would also use a wood block as well.

KSKoS5p.png

Edited by TXSquirrel
  • Like 3