SAU Community

HICAS delete kit query

Something I've been meaning to ask for a while - I have deleted HICAS via a GKTech lock bar and ages back I bought a TOG (standard ebay type) hicas delete kit which is still sitting in its box in the garage. The kit looks solid but a few things I don't see as beneficial - first of all the toe arms are the same as your camber/traction arms, as in you turn the middle section and it shortens/lengthens from both ends at once, and is a fairly coarse thread. The stock tie rods are a finer thread, and will give a much more precise adjustment turn for turn than the delete kit arms.

Also on the hub end, the stock ball joints appear to maintain a better angle during up/down movement > less bump steer, with the ball joint pin allowing sideway deflection while still being " fixed"...and  replacing with a poly bush bolted to the toe-arm will turn the hub more, aka inducing bump steer. 

What's the arguments to the benefit of going with the delete kit, apart from it being a more solid setup?

Dunno. I went with a complete non-HICS subframe and therefore used the Nissan arms. I think a decent delete kit would use a spherical joint rather than a poly bush. I'm not sure that you need all that mush precision to set the rear toe. The coarser thread should still enable you to get the measurement you want.

GKTech sell a HICAS delete bar that "has mounts for regular toe arms in the exact position they are in on non HICAS subframes". Regular toe arms appears to mean GKTech or equivalent, not OEM. The implication seems to be that this is better than other HICAS eliminator kits that alter the inner mounting location?

I installed an ebay type (TAS Autosport) HICAS eliminator kit a few years ago and have had no problems with it street driving. Noticeable improvement over flogged OEM ball joints as expected.