SAU Community

Engine problems

First up, Anyone want to comment on suggested mechanics in south West Sydney (I live in camden) that are good with V36? 

Seems I may have big problems with my v36. Loud knocking sounds at just over 1k rpm. Nothing at idle. Was hoping an oil change would help, nope. Was hoping it was the VVEL but not convinced as its quite loud knocking, almost like a bottom end sound but seems higher in the engine. Although it's gone at idle. Not sure how or if disconnecting the VVEL solenoid would help diagnose its not that.

Gut feeling is its a rod end and this is going to be expensive. 

No engine lights, no oil pressure lights, just the noise. I admit I let the engine oil cha he go for too long. It has now been changed. Nothing in the oil at least, other than being black.

Anyone want to suggest anything for diagnostics?

Should I disconnect the VVEL solenoid to see if the sound disappears? If so, any pointers.

Anyone want to guess the repair costs if you have suspicions of what it is.

Edited by Pete_Repeat

1 hour ago, Pete_Repeat said:

Anyone want to suggest anything for diagnostics?

Use a 500mm long piece of garden hose as a stethoscope to find the source of the noise. It's fairly easy to work out whether it's high or low, front or rear of engine.

Should I disconnect the VVEL solenoid to see if the sound disappears? If so, any pointers.

Well, yes, obviously. But be aware that if the VVEL mechanism is f**ked, it could still make noise whether it is activated by the solenoid or not. The solenoid just determines whether it sees oil pressure to make it rotate, or not.

Anyone want to guess the repair costs if you have suspicions of what it is.

Rod end? As in piston pin end? As little as $2k, to pull the engine out and do as little work as possible to replace just one noisy part.

A rod bearing.....same sort of money.

But really, if there is that much wear on one thing to make it noisy, it's fair to bet that there will be a lot of wear elsewhere and you would feel like a complete chump putting such an engine back together. In which case, the work could be just bottom end parts, or machining of the block also, or a full recon. Anywhere from that $2k absolute cheapest case up to maybe $6k. Could easily get more than that if you take the opportunity to do fun stuff. But I would suggest there is little to be gained from getting carried away in a V36.

On 1/5/2020 at 8:16 AM, Pete_Repeat said:

Yep I am fearing the worst now. It seemed lower down, possibly bottom end. 

I'll use a hose to inspect more. 

It seems 2nd hand motors are about $4k plus minus with a quick search.

nah mean speak to Adrian @ All import wrecking at the GC.

They sell VQ37's for around 1.5-2k Depending on kms.

Had mates use them before. awesome pricing with warranty.

Also they ship australia wide.

Edited by DashyyPC