SAU Community

Returning member in need of advice

SSSHONKY_V_2

Hi All 

I used to be active on this forum a while back as Ssshonky, but since then a lot has changed, had two kids etc etc.

To cut a long story short, I still have my C34 Stagea, it has seen a few k's by now and has blown a head gasket, so I am in the process of stripping it down.

The exhaust and inlet manifolds are off, and I have the motor at TDC, ( Checked the marks on the inlet and exhaust cam gears ) but I have realised that I should have cracked the nut on the crank before the car was torn apart to the stage that I can't start/turn it over. I have read a few posts that advise you can get to the crank via the sump, but my question is do I need to take the crank pulley off at all?

I can see a marking on the crank that will show me if I have moved it at all, so I could get it back to the original location.

The timing belt looks in fairly good condition and I am thinking that I should have enough slack to get the cam gears slipped off the belt without undoing the crank nut. Thoughts?

Am I doing it the 1/2 assed way? I just don't want to have to do more than required, but I also don't want to put the thing back together and have it go bang.

I don't have enough room to get a rattle gun in there or I would have done so :)

Thanks in advance! 

Sounds like you can still crank it to undo the nut. Don't need inlet manifold or exhaust for that, it is better if the car doesn't start!
You will have pretty much no chance of doing the head without backing off the tensioner for the timing belt. And if you do manage to get the belt off the pulleys I can't see you getting it back on.

Hi Ben, thanks for the response, it's really appreciated

I was thinking that the motor would not crank over at all without all the bits and pieces like the crank angle sensor off etc, The cam covers are off and the coil packs etc are all out. I guess you are implying that the starter motor will still do it's thing yeh?

I was thinking the same thing about getting the belt back on without access to the tensioner but the motor only has to turn a bit to crack the nut 

The starter motor will do its thing no matter what! (aside from an aftermarket immobiliser doing its thing)

6 minutes ago, SSSHONKY_V_2 said:

Hi Ben, thanks for the response, it's really appreciated

I was thinking that the motor would not crank over at all without all the bits and pieces like the crank angle sensor off etc, The cam covers are off and the coil packs etc are all out. I guess you are implying that the starter motor will still do it's thing yeh?

I was thinking the same thing about getting the belt back on without access to the tensioner but the motor only has to turn a bit to crack the nut 

Yeah so I cranked it over and the nut cracked no problemo ... I was expecting  a much more dramatic result.

So now it's all off - I am just trying to find someone with a pulley puller I can use. 

I know people can be funny about loaning out tools , I go by the motto of

Never loan out your wife or your tools cause they will both come back ... ( you can work the rest out ) 

Thanks for the help, I should get more involved in these forums again , I miss the camaraderie 

20 minutes ago, SSSHONKY_V_2 said:

Yeah so I cranked it over and the nut cracked no problemo ... I was expecting  a much more dramatic result.

So now it's all off - I am just trying to find someone with a pulley puller I can use. 

I know people can be funny about loaning out tools , I go by the motto of

Never loan out your wife or your tools cause they will both come back ... ( you can work the rest out ) 

Thanks for the help, I should get more involved in these forums again , I miss the camaraderie 

Im hearing you they will come back expecting a better life I can't provide. .....

Where are you located?

• Haha 1