SAU Community

V36 needs new fuel pump - Nissan ridiculous price - aftermarket?

Hi everyone,

My 2007 V36 needs a new fuel pump and fuel filter.  My mechanic tells me he can't source this particular item, and would normally direct me to go straight to a Nissan dealer, but says their price for a genuine part is ridiculous.

He recommended I try a fuel injector cleaner just to buy me some extra time while I look for an aftermarket one or one from eBay.

What would be a good aftermarket one to buy (and from where)?

Note - I am selling the car soon.

Thanks!

here's your OEM number 17040-JL60A

Also if youre going to sell it, probably easiest to call up a wrecker (skyline spares, nissan wrecking etc. you find them on gumtree)

and purchase a fuel pump from one of their v36's. Cheap and easy fix.

as much as people here may complain about using a 2nd hand one... I've done it twice and my daily is running on a 2nd hand fuel pump for years now with no dramas. cheap and easy man.

30 minutes ago, DashyyPC said:

here's your OEM number 17040-JL60A

My parts book quotes part number as 17040-JK01A and the price is truly ridiculous at $750, must be the platinum plated one.

Edited by Rusty Nuts

8 minutes ago, Rusty Nuts said:

My parts book quotes part number as 17040-JK01A and the price is truly ridiculous at $750, must be the platinum plated one.

You're not wrong, i have mine for an 08 infiniti not a JDM model. same pump either way but its easier to buy one with a USDM model # rather than the jap one from experience haha.

35 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Why not take it out, look at it and work out which Bosch or Walbro is the most suitable and just go with that?

Unfortunately I'm not mechanically minded nor have the skills.  

My mechanic said if I can buy one somewhere and bring it in he will fit it.  He can't source one.

With this part number (thanks!!) I found plenty on US eBay, but would be great to get one locally.  Can anyone recommend a Victorian wrecker?  I searched Gumtree with no luck.

Maybe I should just try another mechanic?

Edited by Haxorz

1 hour ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Find a new mechanic, I would dare say using a Walbro 255 will fit up easily.

Not that easily, given what mycarhaspossessedme went through for his fuel pump upgrade in his turbo project.

Definitely doable though and most definitely the way I would go too. That being said, I can understand the Haxor's heart not being in it given he's selling the car off soon but I'd still do it to avoid the headache of an unhappy buyer.

Thanks guys.

Update - I put some injector cleaner in it and drove away from the mechanic.  Surprisingly, the car ran perfectly.  I don't think it was the injector cleaner either as it didn't have time to mix properly. 

I think the fuel filter/pump is nearing replacement and believe I had the issue just because I let the car sit for a month without driving it.

Thanks for the link to the Walbro unit.  I'll either go that or a second hand genuine one from a local wrecker or US eBay now that I bought myself some time for it to arrive.  All those options seem to be around $200 AUD delivered.  New mechanic also of course!

• Like 1