SAU Community

Canada 1993 gtr ready for action

Had a few of the boys tell me it’s time to start up a thread on the car so here it is. Nothing special really I bought the car last year and sorted a ton of issues in the car to get it well. Clean gtr running 1 bar on 2860s.  Since buying it I did a new wiring harness, all sensors(o2, mafs, coolant temps, tps, cas, etc.) I was sorting out misfiring and pushing coolant to over flow witch I thought was a head gasket ended up being a faulty rad cap. I’ve replaced entire cooling system( thermostat, rad, cap,   Hoses.) removed turbos to inspect. Upgraded my coil packs and changed plugs with new wiring harness. Took dash apart did all my bulbs and did dulock g sensor at same time. Transfer case and atessa pump with new nitrogen canister. Car already had a nismo twin plate. Found a set of r33 brakes for front. Water pump and timing belt replaced. Replaced head unit and all speakers with amp bypass mod. Nismo catch can install. Mild build but if your at this stage with issues pm maybe I can help.

DC422234-597A-4DE3-9DB0-D53AECBA57C0.jpeg

E4D97D01-05D2-4785-B417-1457F6BEC58D.jpeg

58E46C92-A692-4392-A185-CD769A981915.jpeg

D1278E9A-7CF5-4438-98B7-0E7A4FAC65C2.jpeg

4909F664-B00E-41F1-B414-89AC1D4EE752.jpeg

• Like 3

I’ll take more pictures when doin work on the car, just never thought I’d be posting or having a build thread for car. Love the setup gunna go e85 more boost next year with -5’s

Edited by MoMnDadGTR

Thanks feel blessed m8.  shes not perfect by any means but definitely brings the family a good release at the end the day! something I can enjoy with my son, little wrencher.

thanks mate, ill update everything now and then when I have time. I tend to work on the car everyday after work, its pretty cold here about -25c outside, but I got a wood stove in my garage so I'm able to take my time and work on it slow.  and your right I get alot enjoyment working on the car feels good to be back after 10 years of not smelling like an rb every day haha.  im currently waiting for a wack load of weather stripping(dry as a nuns mid section) to show up and am gunna do a glass out paint job on it. that's next just gotta save a bit of coin for the painter and away we go.  

• Like 1

we got shit fuel in Canada here, all I can get is 91, if anyone has any imput I would like to just run meth as I can get it easy, and I heard it keeps your valves and what not clean.  my friend has to much money and has his own dyno so I can tune as I go. I'm not the best but getting the hang of it.  I see everyone runs e85 but that's tough for me to get and I feel I can get 500whp with meth just fine. I have all supporting mods in box for it just need to figure out my fuel issue.

Edited by MoMnDadGTR

Water meth injection is no joke to implement. If you’re serious about I would either try to figure out how to source the Bosch system or Aquamist. Port injection should be used if you want to spray a lot as the OEM plenum and runners are not designed to ensure equal distribution of liquids for each cylinder. The post IC spray flow has to be pretty low to make sure it vaporizes before it hits the plenum. In small amounts it’s probably fine because it’ll go towards cylinder 6 but too much and the AFRs will be uneven.

Also make sure to get a tank that is properly baffled with a flow sensor of some kind to verify delivery. I would also integrate control into the ECU.

3 hours ago, MoMnDadGTR said:

we got shit fuel in Canada here, all I can get is 91, if anyone has any imput I would like to just run meth as I can get it easy, and I heard it keeps your valves and what not clean.  my friend has to much money and has his own dyno so I can tune as I go. I'm not the best but getting the hang of it.  I see everyone runs e85 but that's tough for me to get and I feel I can get 500whp with meth just fine. I have all supporting mods in box for it just need to figure out my fuel issue.

Pardon my ignorance but how "shit" is that.  We get 98 RON fuel but when originally sold in Australia there was only 95 octane which gtr's ran happily on for years.  Is your 87/89/91 AKI about the same as 91/95/98 RON or do you need to be 93 or 94 to get a 98 RON equivalent?

10 minutes ago, djr81 said:

Pardon my ignorance but how "shit" is that.  We get 98 RON fuel but when originally sold in Australia there was only 95 octane which gtr's ran happily on for years.  Is your 87/89/91 AKI about the same as 91/95/98 RON or do you need to be 93 or 94 to get a 98 RON equivalent?

91 AKI Canadian is equivalent to 95 RON. 93 AKI is equivalent to 98 RON as you have suspected. 

I believe that 91 octane in Arizona, California, and Nevada is so exceptionally bad that many tuners have special maps to dial back the timing if you plan on using gas in those states.

lots of places in Canada have a good 94 octane fuel, and yes the gtr runs happy on 91 octane as well. until the boost is too high.  I guess I could order and store e85 and have a separate tune for it. seems like no one running meth these days so ill just bite the bullet and figure it out.  we have a strip five minutes from my house so id like to have a bit more power for those weekends.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, joshuaho96 said:

91 AKI Canadian is equivalent to 95 RON. 93 AKI is equivalent to 98 RON as you have suspected. 

I believe that 91 octane in Arizona, California, and Nevada is so exceptionally bad that many tuners have special maps to dial back the timing if you plan on using gas in those states.

This is a fact.... Arizona has 91 and it's  just crap.  We run our fast cars on 100LL from the airport.

1 hour ago, Bibins said:

This is a fact.... Arizona has 91 and it's  just crap.  We run our fast cars on 100LL from the airport.

I wouldn't run 100LL on any reasonably modern car engine. Even if you decat the O2 sensors will foul, the lead oxides will foul up and corrode exhaust valves and spark plugs. Just way too much effort for an especially toxic blend of gas when E85 is cheap and is comparable. Water/meth is complicated but if you're willing to spend a lot of time and effort on making it work then it's great too.

24 minutes ago, joshuaho96 said:

I wouldn't run 100LL on any reasonably modern car engine. Even if you decat the O2 sensors will foul, the lead oxides will foul up and corrode exhaust valves and spark plugs. Just way too much effort for an especially toxic blend of gas when E85 is cheap and is comparable. Water/meth is complicated but if you're willing to spend a lot of time and effort on making it work then it's great too.

We have been doing this for years....  e85 is very inconsistent (at least from the pumps in Arizona) My previous rb build made 850+ HP at the wheels for over 3 years on 100LL with no problems at all.   It kills o2's but thats a small price to pay.

57 minutes ago, joshuaho96 said:

You worry about a lot of stuff! Is this based on theory or actual experience?

34 minutes ago, Ben C34 said:

You worry about a lot of stuff! Is this based on theory or actual experience?

https://www.shell.com/business-customers/aviation/aeroshell/knowledge-centre/technical-talk/techart-18-30071600.html

Gasoline went unleaded in the 70s, no reason to look back. Arizona E85 may be inconsistent but it's nothing a flex fuel sensor can't deal with. Ethanol blends vary between E30 and E85 at the pump depending upon season as ethanol doesn't want to start in the cold and evaporative emissions are harder to control.

Leaded gas is nasty stuff. Lead is a potent neurotoxin and when you burn leaded gas it's being spewed into the air in a form that is easy for the body to intake. There is a lot of research out there that strongly correlated a crime spike in the 1970s and 80s to leaded gasoline.

General aviation is the only major consumer of leaded gasoline at this point and it's only because the engines they run were originally certified on leaded gasoline and the aviation industry is extremely conservative. They still use magnetos and carbs. An RB26 is designed to run unleaded fuel and not designed for leaded fuel at all. So why bother with the thing that's more expensive than ethanol mixed with mogas when lead poisoning is a real risk and lead could damage the engine in unexpected ways?

well after all the chit chat, im gunna go down to the local Kawasaki shop and order a barrel of vp race fuel. its expensive but super high octane good for lots of boost. we have a descent 94 octane sold at husky/mohawk I can get here in Canada for daily driving. im gunna go vp race fuel for my second map, cheers thanks for help.