SAU Community

Canada 1993 gtr ready for action

That is commitment. I can't believe you guys are pulling the motor and transmission out together like that - crazy stuff man !

Who does that ?! Not saying it's wrong, but why not pull the box out first - you have a hoist ? I know the engine cranes are technically rated for it but far out I'm not that brave ! It's nerve racking enough with a bare long engine hanging off the things, let alone another 130kg+ of transmission hanging off the back !

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BK said:

Or that !

haha my mate this is exactly what rashid said...hes like dude this is beyond sketchy hahah. great entertainment at the end of day for me. last 10 years is just how i have learnt to pulled them out like this no issues. i climb trees that can kill me everyday so this doesnt scare me. ive been farming for almost 25 years now and we werent big internet people ten years ago and this is just how i learnt to do it. i did a push conversion as mine was pull, so will make life that much easier lowering the motor once the goodies are one. ive never had a nice engine so this will be the first one i lower and mate to gearbox after so i dont damage anything and can lower it in without an angle.  i figured id do it how i did on my grey gtr and mount the motor with loose nuts on the mounts, raise gearbox to motor get all the bolts i can, lower the tail and finish starter and top bolts, done. i dunno i a farmer and a stupid canadian any critism or help i always value! thanks again good mates.

5 hours ago, BK said:

That is commitment. I can't believe you guys are pulling the motor and transmission out together like that - crazy stuff man !

Who does that ?! Not saying it's wrong, but why not pull the box out first - you have a hoist ? I know the engine cranes are technically rated for it but far out I'm not that brave ! It's nerve racking enough with a bare long engine hanging off the things, let alone another 130kg+ of transmission hanging off the back !

it was a full send forsure....and ill tell you who does that ben. me mate,haha i guy who doesnt know near as much as you guys and just trys really hard lol.

12 minutes ago, MoMnDadGTR said:

i climb trees that can kill me everyday so this doesnt scare me

By the way, that's nuts too.  With the engine though, I mean brave in the way that if it lets go it crushes you car. With an engine with a bit of money gone into if it hits the deck you'll destroy thousands in seconds ! Just be bloody careful.

45 minutes ago, BK said:

By the way, that's nuts too.  With the engine though, I mean brave in the way that if it lets go it crushes you car. With an engine with a bit of money gone into if it hits the deck you'll destroy thousands in seconds ! Just be bloody careful.

forsure bro. im going to start practicing the way you are doing it from now. i know its good advise and yeah all fun and games till you drop your motor on your car or yourself and then yeah not good. i respect my cars and my motors and should do it proper. yes my way works and it very fast but rushing always gets me in trouble so going into turtle race mode to finish this build. keep in touch good mate and thanks for the advise. 

i can relate it to how i cut a tree down...yeah once we have the branches off i could drop a giant log in someones back yard almost everytime and cut up when on ground. but much safer to take small chunks the whole way down until the tree is gone. eliminates the danger of crushing someones house. the more i think about it it was and is a stupid way to get the motor out. oh well lessoned learnt

To be honest I've seen a lot online in the US doing it that way too, just never seen anyone over here do it with a GTR.

The big gun workshops for speed generally use a hoist, get a forklift with long skids supporting the engine and gearbox, undo front subframe and suspension and drop entire engine / transmission /  subframe down as a complete unit and lift car up. I would love to be able to do it this way ☺️

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BK said:

To be honest I've seen a lot online in the US doing it that way too, just never seen anyone over here do it with a GTR.

The big gun workshops for speed generally use a hoist, get a forklift with long skids supporting the engine and gearbox, undo front subframe and suspension and drop entire engine / transmission /  subframe down as a complete unit and lift car up. I would love to be able to do it this way ☺️

ok ben, i own a skidsteer for moving trees, but have with it a long set of forks i use it to move hunting shacks around. ill try the subframe way thats the way rashid wanted to do it. cheers

I almost shat myself when I cracked Th is box open from Tom Bourque today( Canada prp rep) he’s hooked me up with the entire catalogue minus the billet block and I’m super excited to finally get ol blacky together. 

75CF8381-53C8-4E0D-ADC7-2BCA7C2ACF8C.jpeg

6591209D-FEDC-44AD-89D5-24179D022B68.jpeg

3DA3C0C4-608C-4737-B6E8-91DB671294B9.jpeg

ED758178-080C-4CF4-A5C8-8981AFAF6997.jpeg

Gunna air brush this beauty on my hood when the cars done. Go ahead beak me my cats my best friend he roles with me In the gtr he dies with me the gtr! I’ve been through lots of mental struggles in my life with adhd and past addictions but I’ve come along way and my cat has always been there for me. 

I've tried all 3 ways (engine out leaving gearbox in, engine and gearbox out together and dropping whole subframe) to remove a gtr engine over the years.

Dropping whole subframe might be easiest, but only if you have a hoist to lift the body back up, and keep in mind you need to remove the front brake lines (or possibly leave the calipers with the car), the other tricky bit is removing but more importantly lining up the steering column splines to reinstall.

Without a hoist, engine and gearbox makes sense OK if you are doing something to the box too, weight is well within the rated limit of an engine crane (let alone whatever safety factor they have) but you need to be able to substantially tilt the motor as it comes out and goes back in so you really need one of those engine hoist tilters.

I still find taking out just the engine and leaving the box in is the quickest, noting the race car has a few short cuts compared to most road cars to speed up the process, like having no AC and a somewhat clearanced firewall to let the engine tilt back further, less air/water lines to disconnect. There's also the option of removing the spot welds and bolting in the radiator upper support to make it quicker too

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Duncan said:

I've tried all 3 ways (engine out leaving gearbox in, engine and gearbox out together and dropping whole subframe) to remove a gtr engine over the years.

Dropping whole subframe might be easiest, but only if you have a hoist to lift the body back up, and keep in mind you need to remove the front brake lines (or possibly leave the calipers with the car), the other tricky bit is removing but more importantly lining up the steering column splines to reinstall.

Without a hoist, engine and gearbox makes sense OK if you are doing something to the box too, weight is well within the rated limit of an engine crane (let alone whatever safety factor they have) but you need to be able to substantially tilt the motor as it comes out and goes back in so you really need one of those engine hoist tilters.

I still find taking out just the engine and leaving the box in is the quickest, noting the race car has a few short cuts compared to most road cars to speed up the process, like having no AC and a somewhat clearanced firewall to let the engine tilt back further, less air/water lines to disconnect. There's also the option of removing the spot welds and bolting in the radiator upper support to make it quicker too

hey duncan good to hear from you again. not gunna lie i have a brand new engine leveller thats sitting on the floor usually the entire time i do this with the transmission connected....i know the exact angle and just have a transmission jack waiting undernethe car and use a ratchet strap to the tail of transmission and back to the hook of lift if i need to change angle a bit, usually not tho.  i have one guy lower it as i raise the tail of gearbox at same time....ive never had an issue at all but seems to have made some eye brows pop in your neck of the woods the way i do things lol...to be honest i have gotten alot better at leaving the gearbox under the car and bolting it up after and i do know its safer(ya right not if you try using just a floor jack and drop it on your leg that had a broken femure 6 months prior). but ive gotten so good at doing it this stupid way that ill probably continue to do it this way. i find i can do better work mating the transmission to clutch, installing starter, and properly tourquing the bolts etc.  and if you have done it this way before like me you know that if you get then angle right and dont have a crank pulley in the way and dont catch that hardline to the powersteeering reservoir(if you still have this line located there), it goes like a breeze. im not about to do the subframe. i come froma  heavy duty background where cranks weigh more than our little rb engines. so this doesnt seem at all dangerous or sketchy to me in anyway. lowering a 10L cummins with a excavator into a peterbuilt is a different question in the minus forty in the middle of an oil rig patch different story.....gotta have faith sometimes the farmer way is the way. in my case its what i know.

yeah understood....the main thing I've learned since living rural is that using your brain is more important than following a listed safety standard, because every situation is different so you have to think each one through carefully.

Plus, its a long way to hospital if you get it wrong...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Duncan said:

yeah understood....the main thing I've learned since living rural is that using your brain is more important than following a listed safety standard, because every situation is different so you have to think each one through carefully.

Plus, its a long way to hospital if you get it wrong...

well put. could use that everywhere in life really. use your head and experience,  dont put your hand where you wouldnt put your pecker and all is well.

Well, if I was running an industrial business with workers who were my responsibility, eg in a city factory unit I would do everything I could to ensure everyone followed legislative safe practices, from both a worker safety point of view and potential liability if something went wrong. No one should go home injured (or not go home) because of a predictable and preventable risk.

On the other hand, when doing things myself on the property pretty much everything is dangerous, so you need to keep your brain engaged and think things through. And like your compatriot AvE says, don't put your fingus where you wouldn't stick your dingus

1 hour ago, Duncan said:

Well, if I was running an industrial business with workers who were my responsibility, eg in a city factory unit I would do everything I could to ensure everyone followed legislative safe practices, from both a worker safety point of view and potential liability if something went wrong. No one should go home injured (or not go home) because of a predictable and preventable risk.

On the other hand, when doing things myself on the property pretty much everything is dangerous, so you need to keep your brain engaged and think things through. And like your compatriot AvE says, don't put your fingus where you wouldn't stick your dingus

Lol my man. Forsure I’ve gone 15 years tree cutting zero Injuries. I find it’s more dangerous driving to work with all the shitty drivers and our roads are always ice and snow here for 6 months. Lots of deaths from semis driving to fast. Killing families all the time real smart. Getting a class 1 license in Canada is like getting a happy meal at mcdonalds

Finally got what we need to punch some holes in the rb and get this brace mounted up. The honing brace is a serious chunk of billet I had no idea how beefy it was. I definitely found the new centre piece to the table after we are done with it lol. Till next hone really. I’ve had some mates try to rent it already and I feel that’s just not right to prp so giant beautiful paper weight after next week. 

61ED710F-4C99-4D28-9EEA-545B3B5BE065.jpeg

C1AF2EE8-15AF-41BC-A9FF-4E8CFFA0F56F.jpeg

DCD94107-F415-4441-BC84-6A39C89A0987.jpeg

600ECAF1-2C33-47F4-91AD-EB9B0EC6797B.jpeg